Feeding Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Depends really. What kind of corals are we talking about? Also ther may be no need to directly feed them. Lots of folks feed nothing specific for their SPS.

For the candy canes I do the following twice a week:

Mix Coral Frenzy in water and directly feed the Candy Canes after lights out when their feeding tentacles are extended. I use a turkey baster for the direct feeding.

For the second feeding (3 - 4 days later) I feed Mysis shrimp in the same manner.

Every other day I feed frozen Rotifers and Frozen Cyclops along with other frozen foods at lights out and let everyone feed that way through a "broadcast" type feeding.

I also use CyclopsEz Once a week during a midday feeding.

I feed my fish a very small amount 2-4 times daily.

I have a mix of LPS, mushrooms, and softies. I broadcast feed cyclops, coral frenzy and mysis 2 -3 times a week and my corals seem pretty happy.

Frozen Cyclopeeze would be a good choice for you, if you decide to feed them. Given adequate lighting, none of them need direct feeding. I've had all the corals you listed, for years. At times I feed them, other times, I'll go months without feeding them. They will grow faster, if fed. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Of the corals you listed, only the Candy Cane will benefit from direct feeding. Xenia and Zoanthids won't.

How do you feed freeze-dried cyclopeeze? I have been putting a pinch in a small container of saltwater and mixing it up really well, then adding that to the tank with the pumps on. Is this best?

The fish and shrimp go crazy for it and I hope the corals are picking up some stuff as well (xenia, zoas, hammer, rics)

I prefer to thaw it but that is so I have a better idea how much I'm putting in and all the fish have a better chance to get some. I don't think it matters either way though.

For candycanes and other large polyp corals, you can feed mysis shrimp or some other large size food. They will eat it up. You don't really need to feed them, but if you do, they grow way way faster (in my experience.)

Use a plastic pipette and spot feed them, just shooting it at their tentacles (so for candycanes, you might have to do it after lights off once they open)

Xenia: don't feed. they grow like weeds. You can shoot something at it if you want to, not sure what size they like though.

Zoanthids: some of these eat, some don't. You can shoot stuff at them if you want, not sure on particle size.

small polyp corals: I've used to use oyster feast (oyster eggs and ovarian tissue). Follow the directions, and you can spot feed.

With that said, what I've been using now is Rod's Food (standard formula.)
It has all things above in it plus lots more stuff for variety. I just feed that. Spot feeding when I feel like it. It has small stuff down to SPS level all the way up to small chunks of meat (shrimp, squid, etc.)

I thaw it in a shot glass. The heavy stuff sinks, smaller stuff stays in suspension. So I can take the fraction I want for feeding, or I can just mix it all up and feed the tank. The food will blow around (as I don't have any mechanical filtration besides live rock), and the corals are great filter feeders, so they should get their share.

So I feed my tank some frozen Mysis Shrimp but all it did was make a mess of my tank. How long do you leave it in before you clean it out? Stuff is everywhere. I think I put to big of piece in.

I think you did put too much in. Mine is usually gone in less than 5 minutes (except what the coral has grabbed and is slowly eating). My coral banded shrimp and Nassarius Snail get the extra that makes it to the bottom.

Remove them. Any food, left in your tank to rot, will just add nitrates to the system.

Never feed more than your fish will eat, in 2 or 3 minutes. If the food isn't all gone, in a few minutes, you fed too much. Over feeding is one of the biggest and most common problems, that we hobbyists deal with...lol.

Back