Feeding Emperor Angel (Juv.)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bg3489

Hey I had a quick question about my juv. emperor. Since I've had him (about 3 weeks) he hasnt once really eaten the formula two flakes I've been feeding. I recently tried fromula two frozen food but he dosn't seem to eat that either. He sometimes just hides away and dosnt notice the feeding but othertimes he just kind of ignores it. He does graze however all day on the live rock and sand occassionally. Is he getting enough nutrients from the rock and is choosing not to eat or should I try a different approach. He also sometimes pecks a little at my corals which is why I'd rather get him to eat food that I feed for them. Thanks!

I also forgot to add that just today the emperor has been attempting to nip at my brain coral. He was doing this all day and the brain coral did not seem to happy to having chunks bit off him. What should I do?

Could you fill all us in on your system?? How many gallons, lighting, corals , skimmer, etc. it will help us help you!

Now the Emperor Angel isn't really a reef safe fish and I imagine it will turn it's eating fancy on other corals in the tank. This could be why it isn't eating for you. Also it might help to try some meater types foods like mysis shrimp. This fish will grow very large so i hope you have a large enough tank for it.

the emperor is eventually going to finish off the brain coral as well as many other coralsthat have alt of "meat" i guess you could say.... also he will probably eat any zoos/palys/pollsps if u have any...

as for feeding... emperors are angels that like to eat sponges.... im pretty sure it is one of their natural foods that they eat. however getting live sponge is more difficult than its... but i do know that the same compnay that makes formula one makes an "angel formula" that has sponge in it.. when i had my emperor the angel liked this the most.....the other stuff that i fed was the formula two, formula and .. some other food cube thtat i forget..

how big is your emperor? when mine was a really small juvi about 3-3/.5 inches.. i would have to cut up the pieces for him to eat.. into little slices.... when he got a ltitle larger he woudl beable to rip the pieces off (emperors kinda jerk their head to rip the food off to eat) ... another thign is when i originally got my emperor i had to put him into a different tank to teach him to eat... the other fish were jsut a little too fast and too good at eating.. lol..so i had to put him into a different tank.. this is also another good reason to quarantine fish.......

also look for flukes on the gills, on your emperor.. i heard that alot of emperors, angelsin general. get them when theyare wild caught....however i dont know too much about flukes.. mabye someone else can help u.. i know leebaca (notsure on the spelling of hte handle)? is very knowledgable in that.

good luck.. emperors are my favorite fish=) and do post picutres if u can!

Hey guys sorry I haven't posted ive been real busy the past 2 days. I have a 115 gallon tank with a reef devil skimmer. The lighting is coralife flouresent 10k (I believe). I currently have a brain coral, acropora, staghorn, crocea clam, candy cane coral, star polyp, green ricordea mushroom, colt coral, a large mushroom as well as red mushroom colony, daisy button polyps, umbrealla coral, octopus "branch" coral, 3 sand sifting stars, one green mandarin, 2 percula clowns, one juv. emperor, about 15 snails, 5-6 peppermint shrimp, one red blood shrimp, and a purple reef lobster whom I have not seen since I put him in haha. Everything is doing real well expect for a little more brown alage growth on my sand than I would liek to have. The emperor is definelty picking on the coral and I'm extremley upset cause he's such a georgeous fish. I just got my nirates back down to zero and my other parameters are:calcium 450ppm, 0 amonia, o nirites, and ph 8.4.

You are maintaining acropora and a clam under flouresent light??!! How long have you had them?? These corals/clam require intense lighting Metal halide or T-5's.

Looks like you will have to remove the angel if you want to save your corals.:(

So I've been told haha. I'm new at this and sometimes make impluse decisions without oto much research. The clam I've had for about a month now and the acropora just about a week. Any chance they make it? Or anything I can do to improve there chances.

Try live brine and also push some angel mix food into crevices in the rocks as he might start picking at it when it is attached to the rockwork. Worked for me on a fussy regal angel who wouldn't take anything from the water column.

Andy

Back