Feeding Fox Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DlBerlin

I generally feed my LPS corals. I have recently gotten a nice large Fox coral and was wondering how to feed it. It has no tentacles to grab food but does have very obvious mouths to eat so I assume it would do better with food?
I have been looking for a healthy one for years now and have finally found one so I would like to do my best to keep it that way!
Debbie

Debbie,
I have never fed my Fox coral. According to Borneman, these corals receive most of their nutrients from the surrounding water. I have one in my 80 gallon that has no skimmer on it and 1 in my 300, that is skimmed fairly aggressive, they are both doing fine.

Thanks Charlie
Mines in a 300g mixed reef thats skimmed well but fed well also. I've had it about 5-6 weeks and it's looking great. I have never been able to find one without tissue recession before so I want to make sure it's happy.
Deb

they are one of the few Euphylliid species that do not feed much (if at all) organismally. MOst others (octopus, hammer, elegant, torch,bubble) are very needy feeders.

Having a hearty bioload by feeding other corals and fishes will be enough with good lighting. Avoid bright ligts, Nemanzophyllia is a lower light coral.

Thanks guys
I have had great luck mixing corals. Sps do fine-good color and growth. I have mostly Monti's and Milli's, with a few acrros. I dont have many leathers and I run carbon and a good skimmer so that helps. The tank is doing great-the Haddoni spawns about every 9-11 weeks now,the LS urchin has spawned 3 times that I've seen recently. I'm not sure just how but I seem to have good luck with the mixed reef, knock on wood!
I found a good spot with low flow and light for the fox and it has settled in nicely.

Heres a pic:
newfox.jpg

It's been expanding very well-need to move it a little farther from the monti in front of it.

Back