Feeding Frozen Food Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I thought of a new-to-me way to feed frozen food and I was wondering it this made sense.

In addition to frozen prepared foods, I make my own seafood mix. I usually freeze it with a covering of RODI water to prevent freezer burn. Then I thaw the food and feed it over the course of 6-7 hours little by little.

Instead of going through this whole routine, what if I were to just simply drop the home-made frozen cubes of seafood directly in the tank without thawing it? This way the frozen cube slowly melts and the fish can eat each cube slowly over the course of however long it takes to melt (maybe 30 minutes?) Seems to make a lot of sense to me. I just drop in these frozen cubes over the course of the day and the fish get to eat it slowly as it melts. Am I missing something?

I think that unless you shut down your pumps the big hunk may just get stuck in a rock to rot. Best case senerio it finds its way to the return and gets chopped. I use a plankton feeder fed with rodi so a feeder and top off at the same time. Takes about 3 hours to feed two formula cubes.

hmm, maybe if I put the cube directly on the return pump filter screen so it continuously pulls on the frozen cube and like you said spreads it throughout the tank.

i am going to try both ways tonight and report back.

Back