Feeding My Anenome..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Depends on how fast you want it to grow, if its coloring is a nice rich color or is it pale or bleached, is someone hosting in it that may be providing supplement feedings for you, etc.

I make sure mine are getting a little bit of whatever I am feeding everyone else which could vary from flakes to pellets to mysis and so forth. Also I feed mine silversides (a small fish sold in the frozen section) every week or two.

Candy

I have three RBTA's and they are getting BIG (at least 3 inches from mouth) and I don't feed them at all. My Clown gives them pellets every so often (maybe once a week) but the more you feed, the more they split!

"The more you feed them, the more they split" isn't always true. Sometimes they just continue growing bigger. I'd say to feed it once or twice a week with pieces of shrimp (prawn), silversides, chunks of fish meats you can buy in the meat dept at a grocery store. Just make sure what you're feeding doesn't have any additives or artificial ingredients of any kind in it.

We stopped intentionally feeding this guy when it got to about 20" across. Yes, it's a BTA, I swear :)

anem_223.jpg

I started out with 1 RBTA that averaged about 6" across. I rarely fed it at all. I now hoave 2 RBTAs that are about 8" and 10" across on average. The smaller one has been moved to my smaller tank and hasn't moved at all since finding it's "spot." The larger one, on the other hand, moves about once a week and is right now sitting in the center of a nice growth of GSP....grrrr. I still rarely feed them but when I do, it's usually chopped up bits of prawn, pieces of Tillapia or silversides.

Ashlar - That is a great looking RBTA... let me guess ... under MH lighting, well fed, and not very strong flow. By the way its color looks great. Many of mine looked like that until I got comfortable with the butcher knife. (Hmmm lets see I would go for quarters and sell 3 of them to buy more corals).... Honestly it looks great. I love it when one rose gets to be the king of its world.

Greg L - Also a great looking RBTA. Nice and compact... hopefully it is very happy and stays put because the corals around it are also beautiful. Does it stay bubbled al the time or does it come and go.

Both look well taken care of and show how diverse they can look.

Candy

Mine stays put, he has been there for 2 years. He retracts/deflates into the rock where he is at because there is a nice hole behind him. He was not quite out all the way when I took that pic. I used to feed him silversides 2 times a week or some mysis with a turkey baster. He used to have the thin tentacles. I backed off for a while and let him eat just what he catches when I feed the fish or what the clowns pull back into him. He has looked in great shape every since.

There are no wars going on yet, but I'll move the corals when they get too close.

Greg

Well, that would be an RBTA and looks a lot like mine. However, I have seen some RBTA and BTAs that look like the one he posted as well. Sometimes they feel like having long tentacles instead. Although, I do admit, his pic doesn't look much like a BTA.

Bingo.. he started out as a little 5" bubble-y guy about 3 years ago. Once we upgraded to MH lighting, he really started to take off. Eventually it started splitting, and I got either 6 or 7 clones from it over the course of the next year and a half.

We eventually sold it and the tomato clowns to a local breeder (she was a tank terror- I have dime sized scars from where she would latch onto the soft underside of my arm and shake.)

Back