Feeding smaller clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brettandlyndi

Hi all! I'm contemplating getting another clam, maybe a small derasa or squamosa, and am wondering if you really do have to feed them when they are under 2-3". I've seen some really nice ones that are about 1", and would love to have them in the tank and watch them grow, but don't really want to have to bowl feed them or do the coke bottle method.

The two clams I currently have (a 4" derasa and 5" squamosa) are doing great, growing like crazy! I bought the derasa when it was about 2.5", and the squamosa when it was about 3.5". They've been in the tank for 4-5 months now.

You're stuck. Their mantle doesn't have the surface area to simply utilize photosynthesis and Nitrates for food. You have to feed them or they will starve.

it may be beneficial to feed them but its not true that they will starve with out feeding. Clams eat more then just phytoplankton. also there mantle size is proportion to the size of the clam, as the clam grows so does its mantle. so proportionally a 6" clam has the same size mantle as a 2" clam.

now besides all that i would avoid those 1" clams. they tend to have a much higher mortality rate( whether you feed them or not)

chris&barb said:
it may be beneficial to feed them but its not true that they will starve with out feeding. Clams eat more then just phytoplankton. also there mantle size is proportion to the size of the clam, as the clam grows so does its mantle. so proportionally a 6" clam has the same size mantle as a 2" clam.

now besides all that i would avoid those 1" clams. they tend to have a much higher mortality rate( whether you feed them or not)

That is what I had heard too, was that the 1" clams can be difficult to keep. I didn't know that it didn't matter if you fed them or not. So anything above 1" has a lower mortality rate? there were some that I was interested in that were a little larger, but still smaller than the 3" minimum I had read about.

You know, going back to my original post, I kind of made it as if I wasn't willing to properly take care of a clam, because of its smaller size, even after purchasing it. I should have said that I was wanting to gather information about smaller clams before going out and getting one. I absolutely love clams, and the two I already have are by far my favorite specimens in my tank.

I had a 3 inch crocea clam, that i never spot food and it ended up dying and now i have a 5 inch maxima clam, and i'm gonna spot feed it phyto-plankton just to be on the safe side. I'm just wondering is there any particular way to spot feed a clam or do i just squeeze the turkey baster right above the mantel.

I always thought they had to be fed. I guess we got the same book. :) Now their saying its not needed.

Don

I guess we got the same book. :)

ive been saying that way before James' book came out. some of the articles he listed ar from the 80's. the thing that got people thinking they needed to be feed was the paper Shemik(sp) wrote (for DT's) that said they only eat phyto and rely on phyto for 60% of there CE

ive been saying that way before James' book came out. some of the articles he listed ar from the 80's. the thing that got people thinking they needed to be feed was the paper Shemik(sp) wrote (for DT's) that said they only eat phyto and rely on phyto for 60% of there CE

I cant believe the good Dr would write a article to benefit a company like Dt's.:lol:

Don

Back