Feeding SPS corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rbruce2000

What is the best way to feed sps's, ie target feed or just adding it the the tank. I'm not sure if just feeding the tank will get them the required amount of food. Any help would be wonderfull, and if anyone has a diy feeding feeding tool. Im just getting back into the hobby. Will post pics in a day or so. thx again for any info ie help.

Fish poo! They don't necessarily require extra foods but it doesn't hurt either. Sufficient lighting, flow, filtration and solid parameters will keep them happy.

I agree, as long as you have good lighting, SPS do not necessarily need any more feeding, because they will pick some up from your fish food and fish feces

If you think your fish don't need food then you are clueless and I really don't care how aggressive you get over an internet forum =P
My tank is self sustained. Never did I mention fish don't need food. Keep filling your tank with trash to skimm out. Maybe I should write something up on why you should not feed your tank. Then you would be really lost not knowing what to believe LOL.
How did this go from feeding sps to a completely different topic?

It started because you boldly claimed that you don't need to feed your fish and that they can survive on their own based solely off eating pods. You are so wrong on the biology, that it literally blows my mind that you think your fish don't need food. That is like me saying "I don't feed my dog, I just let him survive off whatever table scraps he finds around the house."

And you can post whatever you want about how fish don't need food, but it isn't correct and I don't want someone with less knowledge thinking what your saying is even remotely true. Why don't you go discuss on Lees forum that you don't feed your fish and see what a real expert has to say.

Last edited:
tangs don't eat pods...not intentionally as anyways as a primary source of food. They might get some as they pick at the algae they do eat but it's not a primary source of food. gotta go with jezz on this one.

+1 lol good stuff.

i dont feed my corals... i just feed the tank to answer the question imoe.
Corals tend to eat matter u can barely see and some u cant.
I

to correct myself, some brains corals and acans and such can be target fed. Its awsome and i suggest u do it to make the heads bigger and larger!

Ok so to some what answer the question. You can judge how much food a coral requires by the amount of flesh/tissue it has. So say a leather/mushroom will intake or try to capture food, on the other end of the scale would be something like a SPS (which is only two cell layers thick) gets 98% of its energy budget from photosysthesis.

What most folks do (me to) is to feed the fish well and since they only retain 10% of it and then poop out the balance is a great way to broadcast feed the corals under them. Now in saying that their are a few corals that are the exception to the rule. For me corals such as sun corals and similar you should try to target feed.

Hope it helps

Mike

Back