feeding sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

g0rFz

what do you feed your sps, if anything? i want some ideas and pros/cons thanks!

overfeeding and proper feeding is what you need to look out for.
2x a week is ok , and try to feed when your corals are ready to eat.:)

Kevin and surf buddy do you just feed rotifiers and cyclopeez at night?

Yes... I usually feed in the evenings or in the night cycle before I go to bed. I also have my skimmer on a timer that only turns "on". I turn the skimmer off, and set it to turn on again in a few hours after feeding. This allows the food to remain in the water column for the corals before getting skimmed out.

Yes... I usually feed in the evenings or in the night cycle before I go to bed. I also have my skimmer on a timer that only turns "on". I turn the skimmer off, and set it to turn on again in a few hours after feeding. This allows the food to remain in the water column for the corals before getting skimmed out.
Wow I never thought about putting my skimmer on a timer. Great:)

if you feed your coral at night ,,just want to make sure it's gone and all clean up by morning ,,

is there a difference between cyclops and cyclopeeze? it;s the same :)

well i picked up some cyclops frozen and put about half in, how can i tell if the sps get it? my paly/zoos closed up when they got a little in their polyps but i cant really see if sps polyps closed (if they even do?)

im all new to sps so all this help is really going to determine the fate of my little frags :)

also, how does monti feed, does it have little polyps in the folds or something i can clearly see it in birdsnest but not really monti...

I've been feeding my corals with bio planktons and cyclope eeze a few times a week after the lights out. But recently I found this information on the web and cut donw a my feeding a little bit for watter quality. You can search yourself for more detail:
Mobile Invertebrates
Shrimp, crabs, brittle stars and similar mobile invertebrates will take the same meaty foods that are offered to fish. It is good to try to target feed them at least once a week. This also helps to ensure that they don't get too aggressive with their tank mates.

LPS corals
LPS corals are photosynthetic and will survive and grow with no feeding, but many seem to do better with occasional feedings. Most LPS corals, such as a bubble corals, open brain corals, elegance corals, etc. will take small chunks of shrimp or other meaty foods that are feed to the fish such as Formula One. Feeding once a week seems to be about the optimum frequency. There are a few corals, such as the bright orange sun coral, that are non-photosynthetic and require targeted feeding to stay healthy.

SPS corals

SPS corals never require feeding. They are all photosynthetic and live off the light. In the wild, they partake of zooplankton and some hobbyists like to try to simulate this natural food, but it is unnecessary and the fine food particles can cause a high load on the system.

Soft Corals:
Soft corals are mostly photosynthetic. Large polyp types, such as button polyps can be fed small items such as brine shrimp, but it is not necessary. Small polyp types, such as Sinularia, do not take any known foods, but may benefit from very small zooplankton type foods such as would benefit SPS corals. There are some soft corals, such as carnation corals that are non-photosynthetic and require targeted feeding of small food. These types of corals can be difficult to keep unless the hobbyist is willing to spend the time taking care of their nutritional needs.

Back