Feeding The Crabz

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wsboyette

Fisherman
Once again, I failed to read before purchasing - and so added a small Sally Lightfoot crab to my 45 gallon FOWLR. Afterward I read that some aquarists have had problems with these crabs attacking fish, and some have not. I can only conclude that the ones that did have problems must have failed to provide sufficient food for their crabs, forcing them to go after fish. I have a couple of small hermit crabs as well, which I don't think pose as much risk to my fish. I am afraid of trashing the tank with excess food and thus driving up nitrates. Specifically, what is the best technique for getting food to my crabs and ensuring that they are well fed ? Can I just throw excess fish food in there and expect them to find it before it decomposes ? I believe that these crabs are omnivores (am I correct ?), but what is the best thing to feed them ?

Coral Beauty, Maroon Clown, Royal Gamma Basslet, and Blue Damsel. Am thinking of adding a Mandarin in the near future. I have heard of people having problems with these crabs, and others keeping them with fish for years without incident. Maybe it is the tank size that matters, not the feeding of the crabs.

It's a gamble. I had a 'well fed' purple and red reef lobster that never bothered fish for years. Then one night I caught him munching on my new fire fish that had been in my tank for less than 6 hours. Point is its a gamble. You take your chances. Everything eats something at some point. I like crabs but I stick to small hermits that at best are only possibly a threat to snails.

Back