Feeding the tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

I purposely didn't call this "feeding the fish" or "feeding the corals"
because we all know we have to feed those.
I use an automatic feeder to feed the "tank" itself.
Much of the livestock in a well established tank is not fish or corals. There are all sorts of things living in there that came by accident that we should strive to cultivate. I have always felt that most tanks are much too sterile. I know a lot of people like that look but IMO it is not healthy. I also know about nitrate but that is a different thing for a different thread.
In "my" tank at least there are hundreds or maybe thousands of brittlestars, tube worms, amphipods, copepods, spaghetti worms, bristle worms etc. I like these creatures as much or more than the animals I paid for. A healthy population of "free" organisms provide food and filtration for a tank with the added benefit of making it much more natural.
When I feed my tank, I see numerous arms poking out of every crevace. Tiny snails that I can hardly see start slinking around and the spaghetti worms
come to life. Of course the larger hermit crabs have excellent odor receptors and head straight for the food.
In my automatic feeder I put some flakes and pellets. Of course the fish eat some of it, but the rest manages to make it to all the crevaces to feed these other, (more interesting in my opinion) animals.
If they were larger and we could see them better, they are many times more interesting than fish. Much of this stuff is right out of science fiction.
If it were not for these organisms I would not be able to keep tiny clown gobies, blue stripe pipefish and mandarins.
They grow naturally in the sea and I feel theuy should populate our tanks.
They, of course have to be added from somewhere and a portion of them come on good quality live rock but they must be fed.
Just my opinion of course. How do you feel about this? :rolleyes:

I like your natural approach to things Paul. You are one of the few who looks at the hobby the way you do. Guess it is what kept you interested in the hobby so long.

JMHO :)

You are exactly right.

I like a "sterile" look to my tank but of course I feed my tank. I feed 10 mintues after my lights go off, that is also when my skimmer and ozone unit are turned off. I do this for many reason, first I don't like the idea of my skimmer going crazy just because I have added something that I want to stay in my tank. :) Second is because some corals seem to feed better at night. I have found this to be the case with micros, acans and millies.

I think you are doing things just great. Let's face it, your tank is older than most people have been on the planet so you have to be doing something right. :)

your tank is older than most people have been on the planet so you have to be doing something right.

Thats because I have been here before most people were on the planet. :D

Back