Ferric Oxide

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Will

I would like to get a little feedback on Ferric Oxide from some members who have used it. Is it really as good as BRS says it is? Very expensive,And want to figure out if it is worth the Price.

i get mine down along with nitrates by vsv dosing but with the redfield ratio my po4 needs a little mhelp to be kept low by using GFO.

i find by using a 6 inch by 2 inch strip of phos pad on the outlet of my skimmer works good too.

just be careful when using GFO as to not let it tumble too much in the reactor.

mind you my total water volume is only 40 G and costs are kept low in regard to whatever i use
as i only need a fraction of whatever it is i add to the tank in comparison to a larger tank.

The concept is that the ferric oxide binds Phosphate when it is in a Dissolved Organic state or what we call Inorganic Orthophosphate. So yes it will bind any dissolved orthophosphate that passes through or by the media.
>A couple of things to watch for is that it can do it quite quickly which can have a negative effect on your reef tank as alot of things require DOP beside algae, so if using it go with a small build up of it and not an all at once type of approach.
>It also has an affection for carbonates so keep an eye on your calcium and alkalinity while using the product, and of coarse your PH (another reason to go slow)
>Since DOP binds to the surface of the GFO particulates the manufactures suggest not rinsing the product (as in smaller pieces add the the binding surface) but I always tell folks to give the product a good rinse as the particulates are small enough to be taken in by the various small mouthed critters we keep (corals) and the risk to the critter if that happens can be severe. Also I dont like the look of rust colored water?? lol

hope it helps

Mike

Use it, Like it.

It does reduce PO4 and orgainics pretty well. I have seen some claims that it will drop it to zero but I havent seen that.

As suggested above, just be sure to rinse really well. As it tumbles it will still produce a little bit of fines. I run my return from the ractor in to my filter sock just to be safe.

I use the regular granular stuff from BRS. I didn't think the more expencive regenerating stuff was worth the extra expence.

I run GFO because I dont take the time to cleane the foor befor I dump it in. As for the water being rust colored make sure you run the first gallon or so into a bucket so all of the dust wont make it into your system. I use the 2 little fishies brand and it works well.

Back