Few Tank Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1229goad

New Reefer
I was hoping someone can help by answering a few questions.

I just picked up a 55 gal tank from someone on craigslist, it has been setup for 2 years she said and this is everything it has.

regular hang on back dual biowheel filter
seaclone 100 skimmer
heater
lots of crushed coral and shells for the bottom
3 powerheads
and lights.

she only had one piece of live rock in the tank about 3-4lbs. I purchased 36lbs of live rock and added it to the tank. she had 1 trigger and 2 clown fish in the tank but no cleaner fish.

Where should i go with this now? Thanks

I want to build a reef tank, i have a 75gal with built in over flow but i need to get more LR and a sump before i can set it up. so im just trying to get everything started. The trigger i got is a picasso triggerfish. I want to add an anemone for the clown fish but not sure how to care for it or if the trigger will bother it.

What are you desiring? An aggressive tank? A reef tank? What kind of trigger did you get?

Welcome to the site. Picasso triggerfish and inverts do not do well together. One becomes the food for the other. Kind of need to decide if you want a predator fish tank with the trigger or a reef type tank with the clowns. Pretty tough to have both in the same. So many choices:D

I want to build a reef tank, i have a 75gal with built in over flow but i need to get more LR and a sump before i can set it up. so im just trying to get everything started. The trigger i got is a picasso triggerfish. I want to add an anemone for the clown fish but not sure how to care for it or if the trigger will bother it.

Huma huma (aka humu humu) triggers are generally not reef-safe. They tend to be put into aggressive tanks for this reason. That's also why I asked openly what you desired without giving any information as to why I needed this info.....I needed to know what was most important to you.

Clownfish do not require anemones contrary to popular belief. If you desire one, that's fine, and we'll let you know how to care for it.

In short, you have two species of fish that wouldn't normally "hang" with one-another willingly and typically they are stressed if they have to. If you want a reef tank, I highly recommend finding a new home for the trigger.

what about a yellow tang? i have a guy i can trade.

Huma huma (aka humu humu) triggers are generally not reef-safe. They tend to be put into aggressive tanks for this reason. That's also why I asked openly what you desired without giving any information as to why I needed this info.....I needed to know what was most important to you.

Clownfish do not require anemones contrary to popular belief. If you desire one, that's fine, and we'll let you know how to care for it.

In short, you have two species of fish that wouldn't normally "hang" with one-another willingly and typically they are stressed if they have to. If you want a reef tank, I highly recommend finding a new home for the trigger.

what about a yellow tang? i have a guy i can trade.

YT's normally desire a larger tank but I've successfully kept them in a 75 before. Make sure to rubberband nori to small stones and spread them out throughout the tank so they can swim and graze.

ok thanks, so after i get rid of the trigger, where show i go next?
I know i need more LR, Also was wondering how deep the sand should be when i setup my 75gal tank?

YT's normally desire a larger tank but I've successfully kept them in a 75 before. Make sure to rubberband nori to small stones and spread them out throughout the tank so they can swim and graze.

What type of corals do you plan on keeping? LPS Softies, SPS? Type of lighting do you have. I would definately switch out your skimmer ,seaclones have a VERY bad reputation in the saltwater community.

What type of corals do you plan on keeping? LPS Softies, SPS? Type of lighting do you have. I would definately switch out your skimmer ,seaclones have a VERY bad reputation in the saltwater community.

what is wrong with the seaclone, it seems to be working fine. also i dont know the differance between LPS, and SPS. Which is easyer? and which requires more light?

Do a ton of research, and browsing around this site before buying anything!!! Not only will you get a better idea of what kind of tank you want but you'll save a s-load of $$$$$.

Back