Field Trip

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MikeS

Hi all

I have a good friend who works with developmentally disabled adults in a group home. They have fish tanks there...she wants to bring them on a feild trip to my house on Thursday to see my Reef....besides just showing them the tank, what can I do to make it more informative for them? I have some bleached coral skeletons I'm going to show them for a "hands on" deal....what else can I/should I do? I welcome any and all input...

thanks all...

MikeS

Hmmm...Not sure Mike. I think it is really kind of you to let them come there for a field trip though. I'm sure they will enjoy you just explaining to them how it all works...If I think of anything cool, I'll post it. Best of luck and have fun...:)

She said it will be like a group of 2nd-3rd graders as far as understanding goes...I want to make it fun and as informative as I can for them, but I'm kinda at a loss on how to do this....please, flood me with ideas all....:D

MikeS

Mike...you could get some really nice print outs for them, which might help with your teachings...

Coral Reef Animal Printouts

I print them out for my daughter to show her different things, and she loves it.

Think about the things that amazed you when you first learned about it or when someone who know ABSOLUTELY knows about your tank is amazed.

Ideas:

What are these things that I just pointed out? When they say plants, explain that they are really animals.

Ask them what they think these animals eat. Explain to them that a large portion of their diet is from eating "light". Ask them if they can eat light.

Tell them that there are invisible things called bacteria everywhere they look in your tank and that your tank couldn't survive without these invisible creatures. In fact, some of the corals in your tank even eat this other type of invisible food.

Just some ideas.

HTH's,

Curt

I'm sure they've all seen Finding Nemo...so maybe you can relate some things in your tank to the movie...just a thought

Hey MikeS,
although I am no expert, I have quite a bit of experience dealing with disabled adults (2 family members, 1 of which in an adult group home). Although it depends on the individual in such a home, I have found the functionality to range from the equivalent of kindergarden to ~5th grade. With that said, they are just like kids. (Translation: They want exactly what adults want, and have no reservation about saying so!) I would encourage you to allow them to become involved in a manner of ways:

1. Fish that look cool are supposed to have particular "personalities" and cool names. Be prepared to answer questions regarding the latter, followed up with a comment about the former.

2. Let them squirt some food in the tank and observe the frenzy. Prepare several plastic eyedroppers, each with a VERY small amount of food so everyone gets to participate if desired (this last part is key). Most adults I know will giggle with delight the first time they get to feed the livestock - this group will be no different. (hide the rest of the food so there isn't the temptation to overfeed).

3. Find something that they can touch, such as a hermit crab, and place him in a shallow pan of water. He'll be protected when retracted in his shell and he'll put on a good show when he pops out to investigate each palm he is held in.

4. Note the difference in color between your white/10k/MH lighting and your "blue" actinics. Turn off your whites and demonstrate the neon glow some animals exhibit under actinic.

5. Explain how much time you spend feeding, cleaning, & caring for your tank. I'm sure they all have chores and can relate.

6. Ask them about their tanks (names of fish, what they do when it's feeding time, any bright colors, etc?).

That's all I can think of at the moment...
I'll update the list if I think of any more.

Well I dont know that it will help you. I have a mean green fish eating brittle star in my sump. I take it out and let the kids touch it.
Also they love to watch the process of testing the water. Ca, and Alk.
Great ideas Jeremy.

That would be sooo cool. I think that you are amazing doing this for them. With the great suggestions here you are going to be one opular person. Can I come? hehe

i think it's awesome what you are doing dood :) you are gonna make those kids so happy.
please after this is done let us know how it went .

That is so cool Mike. There are some awesome ideas above. The things that I catch people looking at often are pods. Maybe introduce them to some pods.:)

Thanks for the suggestions everybody....lots of good ideas in there...it should be fun, I'm looking forward to it. I've been trying to talk my friend into setting up one of my old tanks down at her group home as a marine tank, maybe this will get them more interested in it...

MikeS

Another suggestion would be magnifying glasses if you have a sand bed they can look for the little starfish and creatures crawling there. My granddaughters love doing this. If you don't already have some the dollar store sells them. Depending on how much you want to put into it you could also make a print out of the different fish and some of the corals you have in your tank and where they come from. They could take this home with them. Good luck they will enjoy this experience. One of my friends describes my tank to her grandchildren as fireworks underwater!!

Thanks for the suggestions all....greatly appreciated....

I talked with my friend and took the suggestions here...here is my plan...I'm going to have bleached coral skeletons for them to handle...I'm going to run a calcium titration for them and show them how a hydrometer works...I'm going to talk to them about photosyntesis, amd show them the difference in my seperate lights...I'm going to let them see and smell some skimmate (my friends suggestion...:lol: ) and talk about water pollution...I have some printouts (ala Nikki:D ) to give them, and I'll do a question-answer session...I think this is going to be fun, I'm looking forward to it....:D

MikeS

I have had kids visit me (their parents drag them over the first time and the kids drag the parents over after that :) ) I have a crowded mostly freshwater fishroom, I don't know what you have. I also have baby fish and fish eggs to show them which they love.
I try to make sure all cords are tucked away and any other stuff they could kick or trip over are gone, glass on tanks is seated properly so the corners don't snag on clothes, generally clear everything that I don't need on display. I use marbles glued to glass as handles for the lids, they get flipped as someone always tries to pick up the marble and usually drops the lid, one kid takes two and uses them as cymbals. Every time! Fish food and supplements should be out of reach so nobody tries to help after watching you. Lights should be stable so they can't be knocked in the water. One kid took the light and held it under water to see what that would be like. You never know...
They might like seeing the plants in the refugium shaken so the stars and pods go everywhere.
Might be cool to make some prints of any cool fish photos they can hang in their rooms later.
Have fun, that's a great idea! If I had handicap access I would do it too. With my back problems that is probably going to be the case soon... grrr. My wooden rickety looking stairs don't even have a handrail so some kids are terrified going down them and have to be carried. I'd like to get the landlord to install one but he doesn't know about the 25 fish tanks and dozen birds :)
Kate

You have great suggestions here, Mike. I'm glad you're looking forward to it, and I hope you, your friend, and the rest of your guests have a very good time with this. Kudos to you both for taking it on!

Back