Fiji Mud

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
I was just curious if anyone has ever really seen an advantage to using this as opposed to using typical live sand. I just purchased some and have yet to add it to the system. I plan on a 2" bed of this mud in the refugium. Is this just all gimmick or is it really good stuff?

The point of using Fuge mud is that it's packed with metals and minerals that your plants will pull out of the mud.

I would venture to say that it will also leach all the metals into your main display tank as well.

I just use crushed aragonite in my fuge and keep it at about 6" deep. Not sure if it's just compacting or if it's really dissolving into the water. Either way, I add about 1/2 pound to my system a month.

I added 'Miracle Mud' to my fuge when I first started it in December and everything has done really well. I understand that they would like you to replace 50% per year to keep it prime but will probably just add some fine live sand to fuge this fall or just let it be since everyhthing should be very stable by then (Macro algae wise). Initially my corals showed greatly improved polyp extension but don't know if disrupting the fuge anually would be good or bad ?

Todd

Todd, you are correct it was to replace 50% but unless you stir the sand bed up regularly then I would leave it alone i also would think stiring a sand bed after a year would not be the best choice, unless left of the system a day to settle.

Yeah...when you and the mud to the fuge let it settle...then let it settle some more bofore you pump it in the display tank! It will cloud your water like none other...and if you dont let it settle enough you will have a thin layer of mud on everything in your tank, you dust that off and it resettles, dust off, resettle...it takes a while to clear it off your LR and corals. On a positive not it didn't seem to harm anything though. I started using this basically from the get go of a new tank after a 5 year drought of not keeping corals so I can't speak to how well it works though.

Yeah...when you and the mud to the fuge let it settle...then let it settle some more bofore you pump it in the display tank! It will cloud your water like none other...and if you dont let it settle enough you will have a thin layer of mud on everything in your tank, you dust that off and it resettles, dust off, resettle...it takes a while to clear it off your LR and corals. On a positive not it didn't seem to harm anything though. I started using this basically from the get go of a new tank after a 5 year drought of not keeping corals so I can't speak to how well it works though.

Yeah I hear you on this one. I tried to leave my fuge uncirculating for several hours however I just couldn't go any longer since the DT temp was increasing. I turned the pump back on and clouded everything. My SPS sure seem to like the muc though. There definitely is a difference in polyp extension. I am looking to add another couple jars of this stuff for sure.

Back