Filefish test day 1

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hmmm I think I still have a 55 gallon drum of that stuff. Think I shall try to intice him into an aptasia salad.

I thought about trying that fish to get rid of some aptasia i have in my 90. I figured before i spent any money though i would try a couple fixes with stuff i already had. I got a syringe, filled it with some lemon juice and started injecting. Haven't seen any aptasia since =) If you want a cool fish go for it, if you're just desperate to get rid of some aptasia without adding livestock i highly recommend the lemon juice. Somewhere i read it can affect PH though so don't try to rid your whole tank of them all at once.

Hey Colin, the lemon juice will kill it off. However being that these anemones have a built in desire to live they will Broadcast babies out in a self preservation method, meaning that though you kill one, 18 more will pop up in its place. So just becarefful when in there killing these little $%^#@

A closet eater huh. You aren't calling him fat are you.

Depends on what side you look at him from :D

Be patient grasshopper. I have heard these fish are hit and miss whether they will perform as wanted though so we're keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Hey Colin, the lemon juice will kill it off. However being that these anemones have a built in desire to live they will Broadcast babies out in a self preservation method, meaning that though you kill one, 18 more will pop up in its place. So just becarefful when in there killing these little $%^#@

I've heard that, and witnessed it before. For some reason that never happened to me. It could be because they weren't mature yet? I got to them when they were fairly small. It seems to be the people that buy the aptasia x and stuff like that that seem to have issues. I have a buddy who was using that stuff and he was never able to get rid of them.

Hopefully he starts getting hungry for you =)

So what I am frustratedly hearing from all of you is that I am completely impatient and want results NOWWWWW. I think you guys are right :)

Another update. Well I haven't seen him ever eat any aiptasia but he did decide he liked my purple rim monti cap and killed it off. I still really like the fish and that happened when I went on vacation. I think he and my rabbit fish were letting me know they were pissed off for not feeding nori for a week while I was gone. They both never touched any corals I go on vacation and my zoas are gone that I was given when I got my rabbit fish from jrgilles and my green cap was dead. I didn't really know what happened until I saw my file fish biting at the dead green cap. I assume the rabbit fish ate the zoas because they were the same one's he was eating in Rob's tank, he gave them to me when I got the fish. Now that I'm putting nori in the tank I haven't seen either of them pick at any corals.

I had a problem with aiptasia so i moved the rock with the aiptasia to my refugium and added 12 peppermint shrimp. They ate every aiptasia on the rock. I keep peppermint shrimp in my refugium and whenever I get new frags/rocks I put them in my refugium and the shrimp clean off the frag/rock then I add them to the display.

I had a problem with aiptasia so i moved the rock with the aiptasia to my refugium and added 12 peppermint shrimp. They ate every aiptasia on the rock. I keep peppermint shrimp in my refugium and whenever I get new frags/rocks I put them in my refugium and the shrimp clean off the frag/rock then I add them to the display.

That's a pretty smart idea =)

I added a filefish to my tank about a week ago. The only thing he has eaten so far is mysis and acans, so he got pulled out. Luckily, the store I got him at is willing to exchange so I can try another one.

I had my filefish in the qt tank waiting to go back to the store and put a rock covered with mojanos in there with him. Today they were all gone! So I think I am going to build a little box out of eggcrate to shield my acans while he goes back in the display.

Back