Films of green and red algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

emgeeay

I recently was given an older (28 years, really) 55 gallon Plexiglas tank. Even before I got it, there was always a problem with algae on the glass. I got some reef janitors hoping they could keep up with it, but most of the snails died in the first week. The tank has been set up for about seven years. It’s inhabitants are reddish purple mushrooms—many of them, they seem to be doing very well; a lettuce coral (I think) that is just holding on; an anemone; some snails and hermit crabs, no vertebrates. The algae are a film of brownish red, and green, and are very hard to get off. Where should I start? Thanks!

Start with giving us all your test results for your water. Also outlining how you moved the tank may help. Did you use the existing sand bed? If so, and if it was stirred up at all, it could have released 7 years worth of nasties into your water. Reading your title, I'd have guessed Cyanobacteria, however, it's usually not at all hard to get off. Being that it's hard to get off, I'd guess it's Corraline algae, which is a desirable algae for most. Most reef aquarists want this algae at least on the back and sometimes sides of their tanks. However, we don't want it covering the viewing pane...lol. That becomes a maintenance issue consisting of scraping if off on a regular basis. With glass aquariums, it usually involves a razor blade. Not sure what you shoulc use with an acrylic tank though. Razor may scratch the tank, which you don't want.

Green algae problem

Start with giving us all your test results for your water. Also outlining how you moved the tank may help. Did you use the existing sand bed? If so, and if it was stirred up at all, it could have released 7 years worth of nasties into your water. Reading your title, I'd have guessed Cyanobacteria, however, it's usually not at all hard to get off. Being that it's hard to get off, I'd guess it's Corraline algae, which is a desirable algae for most. Most reef aquarists want this algae at least on the back and sometimes sides of their tanks. However, we don't want it covering the viewing pane...lol. That becomes a maintenance issue consisting of scraping if off on a regular basis. With glass aquariums, it usually involves a razor blade. Not sure what you shoulc use with an acrylic tank though. Razor may scratch the tank, which you don't want.

hey, having little (big in my world) algae problem as well. My tank is only 1 month old. I had the brownish-orange algae till day bofore yesterday and it seems that has turned to green and TAKEN OFF. I am scraping down the sides of my tank 2 times a day now just to look in it, and green slipping plant looking things are starting to grow on my heater. WHAT CAN I DO. This overtake of green is about to kill me.

29gal nano, live rock, distilled water, few corals (hammers, Zoas, Frogspawn) and 6 snails

I think my algae is cyanobacteria, because it’s reddish brown, and I don’t have any coralline algae anywhere in the tank.
My tank was drained to the bottom, but the gravel bed wasn’t disturbed during the move or when I refilled it.
The front of the tank is so hard to clean because it’s been scraped for 20+ years to remove the algae, and now the algae has a rougher surface to grow into.
Temperature is 72. Salinity is 1.022. Ammonia is 0; nitrite is 0; nitrate is 20-40mg/l; pH is 8.2; alkalinity is 3.2mg/l. Lighting is two 90 watt fluorescents—one is a Coralite actinic; the other is white but I’m not sure what it is exactly. Blue light comes on an hour before, and stays on an hour after the main light—it’s on from 8AM to 9PM. White light comes on at 9AM and goes off at 8PM. The blue light is the one closest to the front glass. Perhaps I’m giving it too much light?

I recently was given an older (28 years, really) 55 gallon Plexiglas tank. Even before I got it, there was always a problem with algae on the glass. I got some reef janitors hoping they could keep up with it, but most of the snails died in the first week. The tank has been set up for about seven years. It’s inhabitants are reddish purple mushrooms—many of them, they seem to be doing very well; a lettuce coral (I think) that is just holding on; an anemone; some snails and hermit crabs, no vertebrates. The algae are a film of brownish red, and green, and are very hard to get off. Where should I start? Thanks!

I've never seen green cyano, so I'm thinking its film algae. Your nitrates are too high and your Ph is too low. It was either already there when you got the tank or sprouted when large amounts of gunk and nutrients were suspended into the water colum during the move. I would have replaced the substrate during the move when I had had all the water drained.

hey, having little (big in my world) algae problem as well. My tank is only 1 month old. I had the brownish-orange algae till day bofore yesterday and it seems that has turned to green and TAKEN OFF. I am scraping down the sides of my tank 2 times a day now just to look in it, and green slipping plant looking things are starting to grow on my heater. WHAT CAN I DO. This overtake of green is about to kill me.

In a new tank you're going to have algae blooms like that until it basically eats up everything that it likes. Its just one of those things you have to get through. If your tank has only been up a month, hopefully you don't anything but random hitchhikers so you could cut your lighting period. Your best bet is to do a water change as well and siphon the sand. What were your last water tests?

What is the ideal pH and nitrate level? Will water changes bring the nitrates down?
Thanks

what kind of lighting do you have ? how are you feeding? skimmers will help also...

when u think of how algae stays alive, it is photosynthetic and needs food, so reduce those and it will slowly die along with keeping up on maintenance.

and ideal ph is 8.2 ... water changes will bring nitrates down, along with a fuge, and if you have a sump do not use bioballs. there are tons of ways to drop your nitrates, do a little research

Is there anything I can do to speed this green film along? It is just killing me.

I have an 29 gallon cube with it all built in. I stopped feeding last week because only fish died. the tank is now 5 weeks old. The brown algae was bad but this is aweful. I am wiping the sides of my tank down 2-3 times a day.

I have an 29 gallon cube with it all built in. I stopped feeding last week because only fish died. the tank is now 5 weeks old. The brown algae was bad but this is aweful. I am wiping the sides of my tank down 2-3 times a day.

are you using ro/di for water changes?

What is the ideal pH and nitrate level? Will water changes bring the nitrates down?
Thanks
Ideal nitrates is 0, but you're usually always going to have small trace amounts.
Ideal Ph is 8.5
Doing a water change will reduce the nitrates and the ammonia. If the water you are adding isn't 8.2 or higher, then it will also lower your Ph. If your water gets below 8.0, then it will start getting too acidic.

IMO you shouldn't have fish in a tank that young. Ammonia spikes in a tank going through a cycle are common and ammonia will burn the fish's gills and ruin their internal organs. If you don't have any corals, then you can stop turning on your lights. Taking away the light will kill the algae but you're going to have to do regular water changes. You could go as far as to cover the tank with a blanket or tin foil so no light gets in.

I'm guessing your tank has some natural sunlight on it eh? Just guessing :) Lots of people that would come into the store complaining about algae.

Is this a 29g bio cube?

Same thing happen to my new 300g tank. it started with brown algae on sand on rocks. lots of bubble and water is very cloudy. try reducing the light and water change.

just let it run its course. it did not happen over night and you are not going to cure it overnight. and more tanks can run at 8-7.8 without problems. just would not go any lower than that

Back