Filter Floss, do you dispose and replace of clean and reuse?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We have the new tank in the bedroom that takes a filter floss pad as the primary cleaner. It needs to be changed every few days. Is this a disposable item or can they be cleaned and reused? At a piece every few days it seems disposing would get expensive in the long run but what doesn't about this hobby? :D Any input would be helpful.

I had a similar setup with my last DT, and replaced the filter floss with a sponge pad. I bought 3 of them so I could easily clean the ones not in use at my convenience.
Still have to clean them out on a very regular basis but they last for ever. It's kind of hard to clean filter floss thoroughly.

Casey

Hey Eric.We use a new pc of floss each time.We get out floss from Intank in Bulk..It comes in a sheet that is 10" x 20"..Just cut to fit for your application..This floss is Much Thicker and will last an extra day or two.
Check out their site,There are many things there that will work for your solana!!

When I use to use filter pads in my wet/dry, I would buy something they call batting here. It's similar to what you'd use to stuff a pillow with, but I got the stuff that came on a roll about 4ft tall, was 3/4 inch thick and you could buy it by the yard. Probably similar to the stuff Shane and John is referring to. We pay about $4.00 for a yard of it here so it is cheap as dirt and does the trick and goes a long way. Eventually though, I am one of those people who doesn't like to leave stuff like that in too long so eventually I removed every sponge I could find in my system out of the tank. I didn't want the hassle of changing/cleaning them every 3 days and went so far as to removing the pre-filter sponges off of my pumps even :p

Anyways, here's a picture of what I am talking about. You can get it pretty much in any fabric store. :)

]

Yep it is called batting here too. I used a sponge block on my old nano it worked well and can actually be cleaned.

Thanks Shane. I know, we want to buy everything they have at InTank but the budget isn't allowing it right at the moment. We are still running skimmerless too until one pops up used.

When I use to use filter pads in my wet/dry, I would buy something they call batting here. It's similar to what you'd use to stuff a pillow with, but I got the stuff that came on a roll about 4ft tall, was 3/4 inch thick and you could buy it by the yard. Probably similar to the stuff Shane and John is referring to. We pay about $4.00 for a yard of it here so it is cheap as dirt and does the trick and goes a long way. Eventually though, I am one of those people who doesn't like to leave stuff like that in too long so eventually I removed every sponge I could find in my system out of the tank. I didn't want the hassle of changing/cleaning them every 3 days and went so far as to removing the pre-filter sponges off of my pumps even :p

Anyways, here's a picture of what I am talking about. You can get it pretty much in any fabric store. :)

]

Hmmm gonna have to go check this out.

Hmmm gonna have to go check this out.

Yea man, it's basically the same thing your LFS will sell you and costs way less. I never rinsed mine to re-use because it was so cheap. I just replaced it one time. I've even used it in my AquaC nano skimmer to cut down on the injector air noise by shoving it in that chamber. The stuff holds up really well. :)

By filter floss do you mean the white on one size and blue on the other? if so, I rinse this all the time and reuse. I am able to get one maybe two times reuse. I buy a 6' ft rool that lasts me a year.

I have used battling too. Now I'm using something similar....buffalo snow, no cutting needed, easier to shape around pipes/tubings. I think it's only sold during x-mas time. Got it really cheap after x-mas.

Fliter floss should be changed regularly. I am able to use pillow foam with my HOB filters. Works awesome for polishing the water.

Back