Filter for powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

Anyone ever seen a slip on style sock like filter that will go over a K2 or K3? Something to keep the gunk from growing on the powerhead that you can peel off and wash out then put back on?

I've never seen anything like that before for any powerhead. I'd imagine a sock of some sort would restrict flow and could possibly heat up the pump some. Best bet IMO would be to just clean your powerhead as needed. Atleast that's what I did :)

I read somewhere that there is a type of sock that is for the Vortechs, but I have no idea where.

every couple months you can just remove the powerheads, clean off some in the sink with an old toothbrush and then run them in a bucket with a gallon or two of tap water plus a cup or two of white vinegar for a bit. 15 minutes later all the coralline, gunk and everything else is gone and the pumps look brand new. works great and then you won't have filter socks in your display tank.

I know we can clean them. That's what we've been doing. I was thinking if there was just some sort of sleeve made of that really open black mesh stuff that it would catch a majority of the grunge without restricting flow and cut down in the remove and clean frequency. I've seen them on Vortechs as well. Just thought it would be cool on a Koralia. Maybe we will get some material and try it out as a new DIY project.

Back