Finally getting into SW...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Crosis

Greetings...

I signed up a while back (the forums looked completely different back then), with plans of getting into SW on my first tank (was going the be a 45 gallon)... Things came up (kids, wife, work, moving... Basically life happened), and I was prevented from doing so...

Now things have settled (nearly 5 years later), and I finally have a chance to slowly start working on this amazing hobby again (with the blessing of my wife... I had to bribe her with a Nikon D7000)...

This evening I am picking up a 270g tank 72"L x 24"H x 36"W...

I plan on building this tank as a Reef w/Fish... The plan is to take my time and be very patient as I get it setup (figure it will probably be close to 6 months before I add my first fish / coral)...

Since I am getting just the tank, no stand or canopy... I will be custom making these myself... In the hood, I'm planning on 4x 400w MH, 2x 60" VHO Actinic Bulbs, and looking into possible LED's for color... The Stand I plan on building as sturdy as I can being as it will be forced to support around ballpark 3500lbs... The stand will be on the first floor on a concrete slab so no worries there... I can post the rough draft of the stand design in another thread, maybe something in the DIY as I go about creating it... (though a warning to DonW, I will probably end up using construction material for the frame don't hate me!!!)

The tank does not have any pre-built overflows...

I plan on using a DSB with Sump...

I'd like to do as much DIY as I can with this setup (DIY Rock seeded with a few pieces of live rock, DIY skimmer, etc)...

Any and all help and feedback would be greatly appreciated... I plan on no longer being a lurker and actually becoming a part of the community here...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome!! :welcome: Glad you made it back!! Sounds like a nice build is on the way! Be sure to post some pictures as you make progress! :)

Very cool, I love the 24" wide format, you will be happy when you start the rock-work.
Start a build thread!

-Todd

Thank you for the welcomes...

Tank is in the house, time to pick up the lumber and start building the stand / canopy...

I'll look into a build thread...

Good to see you jump in with both feet Crosis, 200+ gallons is alot of project and will be more forgiving then a smaller tank. Let us know how is goes in a build thread its always nice to see them start from scratch.

Mojo

Back