Finally! Gina's (NanoReefer411's) 180+tank upgrade! =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would get a power head and blow the rocks out and stir up you sand bed a couple of times. I would use some type of filter media pads to remove the bigger stuff and keep the skimmer cleanning out the small stuff. Some water changes would not hurt, but you really need to remove the detritus and extra food particulants your water can still foul if you do not remove the reason that is causing the poor conditions, IE the extra food.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Next time you leave on vacation you should let me know. I could have watched your tank like you watched mine. I'm hoping for a quick recovery. But i know getting rid of problems takes patients and determination. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck and if you lost anything you fragged for me at some point let me know. I'd be glad to help you out anytime.

Thank you Jesse. I showed my parents what to do, but they just didn't pay attention. I thought they could do it because they also watched our cats. I didn't want to bother you. You had been really busy getting ready to move. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future though.

Vinny, Charlie, Ben, I will do all of that. I have heard a person needs to remove their sand bed slowly anyway if they do decide to remove it. I have tried to vacuum the sand bed already Ben. There is just too much trapped in there to do any good. That was the first thing I did. I have done it every since and it doesn't seem to help. =(

So, while my tank is in its healing phase, I thought I would post some new pictures I took. Some things still look okay.

Flipper-1.jpg

Oscar-1.jpg

MaxiSPS-1.jpg

Moby-1.jpg

Red likes to perch in the corner of the tank.
Red.jpg

Tort.jpg

Spike-1-1.jpg

greenmilli.jpg

Idahogrape-1.jpg
This is a frag of Idaho grape I got from someone locally. It might have been Charlie, I don't remember who. Anyway, my other purple monti that I thought was also an Idaho grape, is not. It is a different variety. It has a purple base with dark purple polyps. The Idaho grape is more of a light purple with light purple/blue polyps. The Idaho grape has been fine through this nitrate problem. My other Monti, was the size of a plate and is now half dead. =*( No pictures of him. I was going to break the dead part off, but I looked underneath the monti and found a really pretty yellow sponge growing under it. So....needless to say it will remain. I don't want to hurt the sponge. Yah, yah, yah. I know, I'm just funny like that.

My magnificent Mandarin Mandu. :D
Mandu-1.jpg

Thank you Jesse. I showed my parents what to do, but they just didn't pay attention. I thought they could do it because they also watched our cats. I didn't want to bother you. You had been really busy getting ready to move. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future though.

Vinny, Charlie, Ben, I will do all of that. I have heard a person needs to remove their sand bed slowly anyway if they do decide to remove it. I have tried to vacuum the sand bed already Ben. There is just too much trapped in there to do any good. That was the first thing I did. I have done it every since and it doesn't seem to help. =(

I really need to proof read before I send my messages. I meant to say, "I have done it ever since, and it hasn't helped so far."

Thank you Devon. =) He/She is pretty huh? I love the blue color. Sometimes I cannot believe the beauty of my fish, or shall I say all saltwater fish? They are just magnificent in every way.

Hi Thrawn. That is a Blue-lined Rabbitfish. He/She is an awesome fish. A very sweet and model citizen. I call he/she Spike. =) Spike and Moby (My Naso Tang) pal around.

Thanks Charlie! =D

Joanne-Haha. I won't include a FTS. I've lost 2 frags from Henk and 2 Frags from Kevin. Not very happy about that. That Rainbow Mille you gave me is awesome. I lost my rainbow monti from Henk and my Pokerstar from Henk. From Kevin, I lost my blue polyped digi, and an ORA frogskin. Grrrrrrrrrrr! At least my fish are fat and happy! They were huge by the time I got back from my trip.

WOW! The tank is looking really good Gina, glad to see everything coming back well for you. It had been quite awhile since I had read this thread, good stuff - fun read.

Cheers, Todd

Thank you Todd! =) I am making up more water for another massive water change. I also purchased some more carbon and I am going to sew up a new media bag.

Thrawn-When I first got Spike, he was smaller than my clownfish! ;-) He was in my 40 breeder for about 1 1/2-2 years before moving over to the 180. I think you would be fine having a Juvie for quite some time. =) Once he hit the 180, he grew a ton!

Back