Fire shrimp eat bristleworms?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TWallace

Last night while I was acclimating some berghias, I noticed a hermit crab outside his shell. I'd never seen that before so I watched him for a bit. He was cleaning debris out of the shell, which included a small bristleworm (around 1" long). As he was doing this, one of my fire shrimp approached. The crab quickly entered the shell with the bristleworm halfway out of it. The fire shrimp pounced on the shell and pulled the bristleworm out and started eating it! I'd never seen that before and didn't think a fire shrimp would eat them. Anyone else ever seen this?

Last night while I was acclimating some berghias, I noticed a hermit crab outside his shell. I'd never seen that before so I watched him for a bit. He was cleaning debris out of the shell, which included a small bristleworm (around 1" long). As he was doing this, one of my fire shrimp approached. The crab quickly entered the shell with the bristleworm halfway out of it. The fire shrimp pounced on the shell and pulled the bristleworm out and started eating it! I'd never seen that before and didn't think a fire shrimp would eat them. Anyone else ever seen this?

Nope...but that's awesome!

I have seen my cleaner shrimp pick one out of my GSP and devour it. It was cool to see.

Back