FIRE!!! Yikes!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just caught this thread....wow....glad that wasn't worse.....that could have been a disaster! It's things like this that sometimes make me question my devotion to this hobby...

MikeS

Mike,

My powerstrips were supposed to be a temporary fix while I cleaned a free (filthy) 200g tank I got. Unfortunately, the previous owner let the entire 200g evaporate and I found that getting the dried salt and Calcium, etc. off of the glass was harder than I thought it would be. Whenever I was in the mood to scrub....I scrubbed....when I wasn't in the mood, I didn't.

I don't blame the hobby...I blame my choice to continue using a temporary electrical system held together with "chewing gum and duct tape". I then paid the price. I posted so that others will be more aware.

I guess what the moral of the story is....be aware of dangers with your tank and take appropriate precautions as opposed to leaving the hobby.

Thank you! I can't remember why I was home, but AFTER the fire was out, I panicked and called my hubby (crying) and he came right home. Then I fell apart. I lost the shrimp, a few wrasses, and the wall behind the tank. Clean up was a bear! That white powdery stuff was everywhere. I still don't know what started it. I blame the garage sale surge!! So I definitely understand where you are with your fire!!!! :) Scarey!!

Great post Curtswearing....

Safety above everyting else in this hobby...

Mike

Hi there. I'm new the forum. I was wondering if anyone around here who was a regular or new more or was just wise and wonderful would consider putting any of the info from this thread together into a FAQ of sorts or an article on fire prevention/safety in the hobby. Just with my freshwater tanks I worry about fire and electrocution;) now wanting to start a reef tank I am left with the imagine of my home a smoking pile of rubble. Ok not quite that paranoid but close. What do you do about the corrosion on plugins? What's the best way to plugin the billion cords you use? I dunno. Just be awful nice to have it together in one place with the info laid out easy to read. Maybe I'm just lazy though ;)
I'm really sorry this happened to you Curt, but very glad it wasn't worse

I bought another smoke detector, fire extinguisher and another power strip to replace one of those 3-way plug things. Looked at all my power strips, felt stuff to see if anything is getting hot... what else can you do? I'm thinking about adding another circuit just so I don't have to worry so much :confused:

DonW said:
When my shop gets a fire inspection the only strips I can have pluged in are the ones posted in Eds thread. That is because they are the same if not better than the hard wired wall outlets. They are internaly wired with 12g wire. No cheap power strip is rated for continous equiptment (pumps and heaters) use.

Don

Don - I may have missed it....and it may even be in this thread already, but what is the thread of Ed's you are refering to?

Thanks!

We are in the process of redesigning my electrical. For sure, I will keep you guys up to date on it, as it progresses.

Sorry about the fire, Curt - and all the livestock you lost. But, I'm glad you're okay. And that you didn't lose the entire tank. Really scarey about the plug strip. And, it could have been so much worse, that's the most terrifying thing.

I just heard about someone else who lost an entire tank and believe it or not, their home insurance paid for complete replacement!

Also, I've got to tell you this story - a woman I know left a toaster oven on, on her kitchen counter, by mistake. It caught fire and burned a black spot about 10" wide on the counter top. This woman wasn't an ethical person, and her brother-in-law was an insurance claims adjustor. He helped her fill out the damage report. They said that all the walls were smoke damaged, that all her (unbelievably extensive) wardrobe smelled of smoke and had to be dry-cleaned, and a whole incredible list of other stuff like that - furniture that smelled, etc., ad nauseum. All untrue. She got a $25,000 settlement for it. Replacing all her kitchen counters only cost around $1500, and of course, the toaster oven was about $60. That was all that was really damaged. So, she's an unscrupulous person who made a huge profit off a small disaster. I can't respect the way she lied, but it taught me something about insurance claims; that you need to be exhaustively complete about what damage happened (except, without lying).

TankGirl,
Good point about being meticulous when it somes time to dealing w/ insurance companies........too bad your acquaintence aided increasing the cost of insurance. I think that what happens in cases like that people get frustrated at the insurance company constantly making money on them, and just decide to go for it when they have the chance to stick to the insurance company.
Nick

that looks bad. it was good you were there when it happened.

btw was it floor mounted? it would be better if it was wall mounted. Simply use a double adhesive tape or usually these have screws for mounting.

again, good you got it caught in time.

Thanks everyone. Actually, it was wall mounted with drip loops just to be on the safe side because this one was actually underneath a possible source of water. It would be hard to get water to it but not impossible. It was mounted to a stud and that stud caught on fire from the powerstrip.

My other powerstrip is higher than the tank so there are no drip loops on those. I used to have all of my wire neatly tied with twisty-ties but in the last year, all of those got undone and my wires were running helter-skelter everywhere. I'm going to get that back under control shortly.

That is good advice TG....be thorough. I'm not turning this into insurance because earlier in the year when my basement flooded, a my insurance agent said (wink, wink, nudge, nudge....we never had this conversation) that the costs better be very extreme before filing. I got a whole new roof when it was destroyed by a massive hailstorm 2001. This particular hailstorm cost the insurance companies a fortune. Many insurance companies in Missouri paid people and then started dropping them like flies. Other insurance companies quadrupled the cost of insurance. Other insurance companies decided to duke it out in court. It got so bad that the Proposed Missouri Homeowners Fair Play Act was proposed but never enacted.
Because this type of underwriting behavior was unprecedented in Missouri, state law contains no protections for homeowners who may be nonrenewed. For example, Missouri has not enacted legal protections for policyholders who file claims, such as the storm-prone Plains states like Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas have done.
Unfortunately, we are now in 2004 and this bill still has not been enacted.

Please forgive me if this was already mentioned, but.... My uncle spent many years in the fire department, and one of the things that really struck me about his "war stories" is how toxic burning plastic fumes are. The fumes from a burning telephone put him in the hospital, so it's really not surprising that the fumes could kill fish and corals.

Glad to hear that things weren't worse than they were, though sorry to hear about your losses.

I can believe that...I coughed up mis-colored phlegm for numerous days and still don't have 100% lung capacity. Thanks!!!

Yipes, Curt! That takes my breath away just reading about it. Ewwwg! Hope you're feeling better.

This is only what I've heard but power strips especially the older cheap ones will only last a while. Do we have an electrician on board? I have been told to watch for a dark spot on the underside of the plastic ones and to get rid of them when you notice it. I have an industrial one from Homer Depot and and old metal bodied cheepie. I think I might retire the cheapie the sooner the better. Glad everything worked out ok. :eek:

I am not an electrician but a power strip does not have moving parts to wear it down so only ambient factors (temperature changes, dust, humidity, etc) can wear it out or damage it.
Unless it is so cheap and rated way below the load it carries and thus heat up will it wear down it's casing and sockets.
A dark spot indicates heat/burning and is a danger sign! Even if a power strip is of good quality, loose plugs can also give you problems and even fire.

Back