First clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
I have never kept a nice clam before, and just bought 2 maxima clams. I have researched them for a long time and know mostly what I need to know. I have been warned that I may not have enough light, and will get rid of them fast if I feel that they are not thriving. I basically want to know if anybody can tell me the first signs of insufficient light, and how long it might take to notice so that I can carefully watch them, and find them a new home if needed before they decline. I have a 75 gallon w/ built in the back sump that cuts my useable space down to about 55. I believe it's 18" deep and I'm running a 48" 4x54 watt t5 w/ lunar lights and 2x 24" 2x24 watt t5 for a combined 312 watt t5 ho with half of it being actinic. Although, I also have cheap fixtures and most of my bulbs are cheap too (that is where most of the concern came from).

Attachments

• clam.jpg
    clam.jpg
    51.4 KB
can tell me the first signs of insufficient light

If they start to loss color then that is a good sign.

No doubt that the more intense lighting the better but we have a lot of customers that have been using T-5 for a long time and all looks well. If you decide to go to higher intense lighting, BE SURE to acclimate them to the new lighting to avoid stress.

Thank you. I will keep a good eye on them. If they do well, I will be checking with you for a nice ultra blue maxima. You ever have the black and white ones?
If they start to loss color then that is a good sign.

No doubt that the more intense lighting the better but we have a lot of customers that have been using T-5 for a long time and all looks well. If you decide to go to higher intense lighting, BE SURE to acclimate them to the new lighting to avoid stress.

Found out I have pyramid snails on my first beautiful clams.:(
Doing my best to remove them, and looking for a good wrasse to help out a little.

Back