First fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gimmito

Hi Lee,

A friend is giving me a juvenile blue face angel as a first fish for my 450 display. What QT procedure would you recommend for the angel. Fresh water dip in methelyne blue ?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

I can't link it to you in this post (I'm on an iPad). However, if you will look through the stickies in this forum (the threads listed at the start) you'll find one that gives the step-by-step procedure for the best quarantine I have found in my 40+ years of experience.

Good luck!

WOW! Jim what an awesome first fish to have (in any system) congrats. I hope to join the 450g DT or larger club in the next couple of years, gives you so many more options on what livestock can be kept safely/ethically into full adults. Such a great system you have put together and shared with us all, will be closely following its growth.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd,

The blue face angel was to be added down the road, but this came up. :)

I look forward to your large tank build. I think half the fun is putting them together.

Yeah, what Todd said. WOW Beautiful fish.
And yeah, more than half the fun is putting the system together.

i would be sure the tank is fully established as blue faced angels are anything but hardy. very sensitive to water params and pretty finicky eaters. but overalll beautiful fish and a great one to have expecially for a first fish. i wish you the best of luck.

I forgot to mention he came from a friends tank that was there for a good 9 months. The blue face eats everything I put in the tank (mysis shrimp, Rod's food, H20 foods, & Spectrum pellets). :D

Jim,

As an owner of a many large angels in my 375g tank, I do own a blueface.

Here is the sticky Lee was referring to:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/quarantine-process-27022/

bottom line you need to QT all new fish for at least 6 wks. I do this for all my fish..I also add a 5-7 day PraziPro treatment to all my angels as flukes or worms can be a problem from some wholesalers..

the onlyy fish i ever qt are tangs, only because they are so prone to parasites. i believe its better just to get the fish in the tank and deal with any thing they have then have the risk of them dying going through the stress of switching tanks over and over again.

edit: not saying this is the thing to do its just how i do it. i would suggest quarantining most fish for around 3-4 weeks.

chelseagrin,

I used to think that until I placed a large emperor angel in my DT that was not QT'd (it had flukes unbeknownst to me), I lost 8 fish (not all angels) and vowed never again. All fish are prone to Ich or parasites, not just Tangs. It only takes ONE fish to infect the ENTIRE tank. I hope you take my expensive lesson and learn from this.

Read the Quarantine Process sticky and QT fish for a minimum of 6wks. Three weeks in not sufficient time, as Ich has a cycle of 4 wks.

All of my fish (angels or otherwise) are QT'd 6wks with a one week PraziPro treatment. Period.

You could say I aspire to the phrase, "Once bitten, twice shy" :)

i understand where you are coming from, i have had parasites and dieases introduced through not doing qt but most die with the freshwater dip. when i first entered this hobby i didnt even dip or qt. and i had probably one of the best tanks i have ever had. i think its entirely chance. but i believe anything really serious enough to wipe out your tank will be killed in the freshwater dip. or in a tangs case a few weeks of qt. i have heard horror stories about ich though.

Back