First post - new to Reef Frontiers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acscrive

Hi everyone! I'm new to Reef Frontiers and just started thinking about reef keeping after abandoning my lifelong dream of owning a tarantula. It's awesome to see all the great advice and strong community on here. Keep it up!

Welcome Acsrive! You will find this hobby is as deep as you want to go. The learning curve is somewhat steep though. Ask alot of questions and always question your LFS. Lots to learn here and for me its half the fun. Best of luck and ask away. We love to make new reefers succeed!

Thanks, Tom! Yes - I'm beginning to see from the forums that there's a lot to this. And I agree - the frequent and mandatory problem-solving process seems really rewarding.

e77c5bb333a81f76543519d6f73987c6.jpg

Welcome Acsrive! First off I had a tarantula once, it was cool but really scared the crap out of a lot of ppl LOL. It's been so long I can't remember what happened to it, I do remember it being an escape artist, anyway again welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the site!

Welcome.

Have you been looking around at your local stores? That's a great way to get your feet wet, so to speak. You start to get a sense what your goals are based on what you see in store displays. Sometimes you get a sense of what you hope to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NanaReefer, thanks for the awesome welcome picture! Scooterman, part of why I've given up on a tarantula is that I know the poor spider would be terrified of me. But of course if it's an escape artist that's a problem too. Halmus, I haven't had too much of a chance to look yet but that's definitely what I need to do. I think right now my biggest interest would be learning to grow coral. But yes, seeing what I hope to avoid would be helpful for sure.

I concur on the welcomes. Always good to see new folks join in!
With the local stores, just remember some really want to help, some really want to sell you things, and most are somewhere in the middle. Do your research. Never impulse buy, regardless of whether its tanks or livestock, etc... Everything you do/add/buy has bonuses and adds limitations. If you know them going in, you'll be happier in the end.
My suggestion is almost always to read build threads. Find tanks you like and watch how people put them together. How they decided what equipment, how to plumb.. Find their mistakes, don't repeat them. Everyone of us who have been at this a while can tell you things we'd do differently, even on the tanks we're most proud of....

Welcome aboard Ascrive, it's great to have you. The best piece advice that I have is take it slow, don't add to much too fast. You might also get the dreaded reefer disease, we all have it. It is a great hobby and easy to get totally hooked on. Again, welcome aboard.

Back