First Problem with new Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think you misunderstand, I am not trying to argue with you or pick you apart. You are indeed entitled to your opinion. What I am attempting to do is reason this out with you and understand yours and people likeminded that choose this method rather than a more effective or permanent solution?

Do not take offense, simpley offer your side...:cool:

Cheers
Steve

I like open discussions and the more opinions the better. I have read alot about this pesky parasite, some opinions even in the advanced articles can contridict other articles of those that have decades of experience.

Everyones little slice of the Ocean is uniquely different, and what will work for someone might not work for another. Henceforth the best approach is to study and learn from other Hobbiests what has worked and not worked for them. The more discussions and information the better we can understand how to tackle our situation.

I like a good debate as this is away for me to learn and apply others tribal knowledge to my situation.

I have not tried anything yet as I don't feel I have enough information. Right now trying to keep the tank as stress free as possible and boost his immune system.

The main issue I'm running into is that to cure him I would have to cure the tank. Which means pulling all the fish out, creating a QT where they all could be stress free. Having 10 fish makes this very hard. So I want to collect all information I can and see if there is a successful alternative before pulling everything apart.

Sorry for the long article of mine I tend to be long winded.

Steve, I guess I didn't make myself very clear last night, most likely due to lack of sleep!!

sometimes the fish have to come out.. but he said in an earlier post that his tang seemed to be getting better, That was the reason that I said to leave him alone......sometimes it's best (in my opinion) to let them work it out. You have to decide the level of care that is required for each individual fish.

In my experience, I have too much live rock and corals to try and catch a tang, without tearing down the whole tank, I have done that! and I will do it again if it is required..

My Sailfin tang has had ich twice, the first time he was really young, but with garlic and vitamins, and of course letting him eat all he wanted, he fought it off, if it was bothering him I would take him out and treat, but he is in excellent health.

I have done alot of research on this and as all you guys know there is a wide range of treatments you can use. Copper is dangerous.. The reefsafe meds are a waste of money (just my experience,) A freshwater dip and a hyposalinity treatment seems to be the best I have used.

Peace.

Last edited:
Back