First Real Algae Problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I do have some macro algae that is growing in the tank as well. I think it is good algae. I will post a few photos of it in a little bit. But I really don't care that it get eaten if the bad stuff goes with it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Pat

Is this good algea?

This looks like good algae. It's some type of macro. If it's a good kind and I get a grazer type snail, this will be toast. What do you guys and gals think?

DSC_0005q_Small_.JPG

Here is another view.

DSC_0002_Small_.JPG

it looks like some sort of plant, but hard to tell...they will most likely eat it.

the third picture along with your plate corals looks like a flower pot - not all the way open. Im not sure of the "real" name. I have to say the purple plate coral is awesome!

onehawksfan said:
the third picture along with your plate corals looks like a flower pot - not all the way open. Im not sure of the "real" name. I have to say the purple plate coral is awesome!

Yup, goniopora sp. look up my newbie guide to nanos on the beginners section for some tips. You will need to feed them at least twice a week. They like a dirtier tank. Aggressive skimming will lead to it's demise. Some like moderate/high lighting others like it lower. Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions on the flowerpot. Mike.

patmayo said:
4251cpd, what would I feed this specimen?
A DT's type food?

Regards,

Pat
Dt's oyster eggs, mashed up cyclo-peeze and rotifers. I do about a 1/10th of a teaspoon of the cyclo and/or rotifers add a teensy (sorry for lack of a better term) bit of the Dt's. Take an infants medicine dropper and remove 2-3 ml's of tank water and add to the mash. Suck it back in and SLOWLY (with the pumps OFF) use gentle, small squeezes aimed at the polyps. They will open and fold inward if they are capturing your offering. Man did this sound like a chapter out of the Kinsey Report....

4251cpd said:
Yup, goniopora sp. look up my newbie guide to nanos on the beginners section for some tips. You will need to feed them at least twice a week. They like a dirtier tank. Aggressive skimming will lead to it's demise. Some like moderate/high lighting others like it lower. Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions on the flowerpot. Mike.

I just found the gonipora web site. Seems like I may be in trouble on this specimen. Very diffiult to keep and it appears that most don't last a year in the tanks. Darn, it kind of ticks me off. Granted I should have done the reseach in advance but the LFS did not offer any insight into the difficulty of keeping this specimen.

I'll do my best but if it starts breaking down or it gets the brown slime it will be hanging out on the back porch.

We all learn the lessons, I just hate learning hard lessons.

I found a pretty good web site for this species. It's called the gonipora forum. You can find it at gonipora.org web site. Pretty informative that's why I think I may be in trouble.

Regards,

Pat

Last edited:
Pat, I'm a complete idiot but w/a little effort, good intention and a bit o' luck the immpossible can happen Wah-La:

Back