Fish and Algea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If your aquarium is at least 6 feet long, there are some Tangs and Rabbitfish that will eat hair algae. Unfortunately, they don't like to eat it when it is long. They will scrape the surface of rocks and eat the very short strands, but not usually go after the long/tall strands.

Other people may know of other fish.

I've read many threads of people trying various fish (Lawnmower's, Tangs.. etc) and nothing really seemed to work "Short-term" for them.

What seemed to work best, is finding what is fueling the growth of their hair algae, and removing that. Usually phosphates & nitrates. Additions of a Fuge, where other algaes are allowed to grow, seems to also help by having an ideal envoronment for those algaes to grow "external" to the main display system, so the nutrients required to fuel algae growth just aren't available in the display tank.

Thanks. I've heard about tangs and blennys but it's always sounded more hopeful that definitive.

Back to the chemistry kit...

I've had 2 Lawnmower Blennys and neither would touch Hair Algae. I have a Foxface that seems to like it as a treat but doesn't go on a quest to consume it rapidly. Same with my Yellow Tang. I'd say the Foxface eats more of it than anything else I have...but I agree with Ed. Find out the cause of it and fix it.

Back