fish compatability

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rock-N-Ruin

Northwest Aquatics
I was wondering if my Sailfin tang will mellow out on my new CopperBand Butterflly, I thought they would be ok togather, others have them togather (tangs and CBB's) I just witnessed my sailfin turn almost black and harass the hell out of my CBB.. I tried to catch the tang to give him a refugium timeout/jail.. but to no avail... so what do you guys think, should the CBB live in the fuge.. I don't want either fish in there personally, I love my sailfin, he's only about 4 months old, and I've always wanted a copperband butterfly... thanks for your thoughts....Jeff

How big is your tank?What kind of sailfin is it? A purple sailfin tends to be more agressive as a yellow one, i think. Do they eat well? Do you have enough hidingplaces?For how long is this tank running? Do you keep more fish in your tank, ifso which?
I have so many questions....Anyway, you could try one of the following options.

1: Put the copperband in your sump for a week. This gives you the chance to get it well-fed and it gives your sailfin a while to get used to the copperband (they smell eachother).But remember it's always a risk, copperbands are very delicate fish! If the fish is already in bad shape i would try option 2.

2:put the sailfin in your sump for a week.(poor guy...:( )
Try to replace some live-rock to create new territory before adding the sailfin to your tank. This will also be stressfull to your sailfin but if it is in good condition, and you keep an eye on him,it'll do fine.

3: Rebuild your decoration.
Try to create many hidingplaces and caves and make a few towers of rock to make sure they don't have to see eachother all the time.
This will be very stressfull too for your fishies though...:doubt:
and not so good for the bacteriaculture in your system.

I hope it will work out with your copperband..
Good Luck and keep us updated!

Last edited:
tank is 150+sump and fuge, it's too late, the tang beat him up enough, in about the 10 min. he was in there, so i had to put the sailfin in the fuge, he wasn't doing so well last night, i even went to QFC @ 2:00AM to get clams, mussels, and scallops.. to no avail, he was dead this morn.....bummer, Jeff

oh ya other inhabitants are two gold striped marroon clowns/paired, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 yellow watchman goby, and the sailfin tang, Powder blue is in a 55QT because the clowns kept attacking him,the sailfin never had a problem with a pb tang, but it was crazy the way he went at the CBB, he'd back up to him, wiggle, or try and strike with his tail spike, never saw a wound though,,, just must have died of stress... Dammmmmmmmmittttttttttttttttttttttttt

Last edited:
oh ya eRPee lots of hiding places about 100+lbs live rock with mass caves, bassically set up for tang crusin,,,and hidin, tank has been established for 11 months, lots of coraline, or shall we say excessive! I have no reason to seed my tank or fuge with copepods cause i have an excessive amount... but too late now.. kind of bummed, always wanted a CBB, guess i'll try again and have a dedicated tank, or vice versa with the sailfin, and i don't know if he's a purple sailfin, he's not the red sea version, but i did see him turn almost all black last night... and he is in the best of shape, i have raised him from a baby anyway i think i got enough rambling done here....Jeff

I,m very sorry to hear this...

If you want to try again, i would keep it separate from the sailfin (i think you have a zebrasoma veliferum but a latin name or photo would clear things up).
Try to purchase a copperband as small as possible and make sure they feed well at your LFS. Best chance to get them eating is by offering live-food like artemia or mysis.They seem to find red-coloured food more attractive than other colors. You could also make a paste of musselmeat and flake food which you put on a piece of rock (let it dry for a day)and then place back in the tank. The first three months are crucial with all Chelmon species, when they're acclimated,they are pretty hardy.

Back