Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zulreef

How can I get my Tang to stop eating all of my Zoo's? :cry:

1- Green skrit w/ purlpe outer ring and orange center

2- Brown skrit w/ green outer ring and white streak in center

Zul

Last edited:
Once they get a taste for zoanthids, they will always pick at them even if they are well fed. You will have to remove the zoanthids or the tang.

I have nine fish, four are Tangs. 1 Blue eye Tang, 1 yellow eye kole, 1 lavender tang and 1 Tenneti Tang, 3 Blue damsels, 1 maroon clownfish and 1 anthias.The Lavender is eating the Zoos. For five months I have had the Zoos and the tang and this is the first time the fish has eaten the Zoos. I had to block the fish from getting to the Zoos.

Zul

Last edited:
I thnk my zoos were OK before Thanksgiving, that is when I bought D'plankton at Blue Sierra. After that I fed zoos. Is tang eating D'plankton on zoos?

Zul

They might be, but I have seen 3 different tangs, chow down on zoanthid colonies in my tanks.

Sorry to hear this! I never knew Tangs could be zoo eaters, but I learn something new everyday. I have Peppermint Shrimp that I witnessed eating my prize zoanthid colony....which is no longer. What does the zoo eating tang eat (besides zoos :) )? I'm moving this thread to the Fish Discussion Forum. Hopefully, Terry can give us some insight to this behavior.

On a side note - zul your tank is very nice! What size is it?

Zul,
When you said this to me earlier, I found it hard to believe. If he is eating your zoos, He will eat most other zoos. Wow, what a bummer. You had 27 different types of Zoos. Can you take him back or see if someone with out zoos wants to buy him? You do not see Lavender tangs very often.
I am sorry for your misfortune Buddy!
Your friend,
Ed

NaH2O said:
Sorry to hear this! I never knew Tangs could be zoo eaters, but I learn something new everyday. I have Peppermint Shrimp that I witnessed eating my prize zoanthid colony....which is no longer. What does the zoo eating tang eat (besides zoos :) )? I'm moving this thread to the Fish Discussion Forum. Hopefully, Terry can give us some insight to this behavior.

On a side note - zul your tank is very nice! What size is it?

My tank is 75 gallon. I feed the tang 1 cube frozen brine shrimp, flake and nori daily, feed the zoos D'plyaton 2 times a week.

Zul

Bri,
He has pictures of his tang eating zoos above. So yes, it is definitely eating zoos.
A few of us call Zul the Zoo Master. He had a lot of different Zoos(27) before this happened.

Ed Hahn said:
Bri,
He has pictures of his tang eating zoos above. So yes, it is definitely eating zoos.
A few of us call Zul the Zoo Master. He had a lot of different Zoos(27) before this happened.

Thank you very much Ed :) :) :)

finn said:
They might be, but I have seen 3 different tangs, chow down on zoanthid colonies in my tanks.

Finn, I am building a cover for my Zoos out of clear plastic so the fish will not eat them.

Zul

zul - that's a good idea, don't forget to swipe it clean unless you don't mind it getting covered in coralline growth?

Back