Fish food choices

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

d muha

With all of the choices out there, what brand foods as far as flakes and pellets do you prefer.

i think as far as ocean nutrition products go it is best to stick with the flake and pellets, because the frozen has some sort of preservative that is full of phosphates

i guess it all depends on the type of fish, my triggers like silversides and krill. istill think there has to be some sort of preservative that isn't exactly good for water quality. you could go to a store and buy some fresh clams and crab and such and blend it and make your own frozen food. it is probaly healthier and alot cheaper as well

Right now i've been feeding flakes to my fishes and that's the best way to go.
I also feed frozen formula two (the red kind) and they love it, but sometimes if i feed my clownfish that, she will not eat the flakes until the next day.
I also feed one of my corals cyclo peeze and my fishes go nuts about that stuff, but i wouldn't recomend it only for fishes :).

I feed frozen mysis, and all you have to do is rinse the frozen foods in RO/DI to wash off the preserving sodium phosphates. Soak them in a small cup of RO/DI and pour off into a brine shrimp net. Also, fresh from the grocery doesn't mean it wasn't sprayed with sodium phosphates prior to the store. Fresh (unless you caught it yourself and know it doesn't have phosphates on it), should be rinsed in RO/DI, as well. Another item I feed is Golden Sinking Pellet. Occasionally, I'll feed a small amount of cyclopeeze for my Resplendant Anthias, too.

loohunter said:
i think as far as ocean nutrition products go it is best to stick with the flake and pellets, because the frozen has some sort of preservative that is full of phosphates
Actually, the frozen is typically lower than most all dried foods. Since it is often stored at room temp (really should be in the freezer), dried food needs the extra help.

Necessary Nutrition, Foods and Supplements, A Preliminary Investigation

If you feel it necessary or prefered to feed dried, stick to sinking pellets. Flake or floating foods can cause several species of fish internal ailments and bouyancy problems.

Cheers
Steve

dabears26 said:
I have heard freeze dried is the best...????????
Depends on the specific manufacturer most times but as a general rule it's among the worst. Least nutrition and will often cause intestinal blockage if used as the main staple. They often seriously lack any vegetable matter (if any at all) and are not a complete food source.

Cheers
Steve

I love new life spectrum pellets. The fish love it, and I like how it makes them look. The colors are brillant, and they dont get real fat, or too skinny. Just right.

Yes they have three pellet sizes. tiny like a this . or about the size of the inside of this o just a little smaller and then large fish size O

I'm looking at the phosphates as adding it over the course of time, and there are so many sources of phosphates in our systems, that helping to eliminate one is a start in keeping them from causing a problem. If you have some RO/DI just toss it in a little dixie cup for a rinse off. Just be sure to discard the water and not add it to the tank.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I judge food with my skimmer. Formula cubes will shut it down instantly. The New life pellets have no effect nor does nori. Red sea zoo will just slow it down. If I add selcon to the pellets it will be down for half the day, so I do this on water change days only.

Don

I actually use a "recipe" I got from Kevin. It's a mix of formula 1, freeze dried planton, seaweed selects red and green, garlic, and some kind of shrimp or clam

fish love it but I do have to be careful not to overfeed

Duane

Back