Fish food choices

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

all i do is cut small slivers of frozen formula 1 and then cut it into 4 pices. and feed the dams. so each will have their own piece, i do that a couple of times. every other day...

I was just looking at an add for Omega One fish foods. This stuff looks like it could be high quality. Anyone had any experience with it?

Not to give a plug for Ocean Nutrition....

but my all-time favorite frozen food is the Formula 1 frozen. Best if you cut it up half-way thawed, not fully thawed. This 'formula' was one of the foods developed just for clownfishes when Ocean Nutrition first developed it. That is, this food was 'formulated' for feeding to clownfish.

The other good thing about it is, it does have some algae (not just meaty products), which in my opinion clowns need.

I also use other fresh seafood from the market...anywhere from prawns..scallops..to squid.

In terms of convenience, I prefer Formula 1 flakes, or OSI Spirulina flakes.

Best,
Ilham

d muha said:
I was just looking at an add for Omega One fish foods. This stuff looks like it could be high quality. Anyone had any experience with it?

I seem to have good lucky with it. I have always used it and my fish love it. I don't know anything techinical about it though. It looked to me like it was a good food because it had higher levels of nutrients than the other foods they had on the shelf at the time. I just never switched.

I also feed ocean nutrition frozen foods.

FWIW
Brian

For me frozen formula 1 is the best food, but if you are like me that feeds it every day and dumps the water with it.... then you are gonna be screwed like me :).
Now i jsut feed it once or sometimes twice a week but most of the times i'm just feeding Tetra marine flakes which they seem to like it (or at least they haven't throw it to my face :D)

Formula one is a brand name of fish food. I use there flake product, and it seems to work great.

I gotta add this, because I think providing natural live foods are really important.

"Gut contents of some Goniopora have been a roughly even mix of phytoplankton and zooplankton (Toonen, 1999; Borneman, 2001). This might explain why systems with refugiums, deep sand beds and little skimming seem to reportedly allow higher survival rates of these corals. Refugiums and sand beds produce many kinds of zooplankton, larvae and eggs, and skimming removes them."

This guy is able to aquaculture and propagate a very difficult to raise coral in crappy pet store tanks (5-20ppm NO3).

Basically, all I'm trying to say is you can feed your recycled detritus back to your tank in the form of zooplankton, larve, phytoplankton and eggs by simply not skimming (or by just skimming once a week or so). Real live foods have things in them that dont covert to packaged foods very well, so the nutrition is exellent.

This link will give you the break down of what's in it (also contain Beta Glucan). I would recommend the frozen Nikki linked to over the flake if available to you.

Ocean Nutrition

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for your help
To steve-s: I am not able to open the link you gave me. Could you copy it and sent to me by PM?

Back