Fish guard for overflow help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Which overflow do you have? The problem you will find with putting anything around your overflow to stop fish from entering it is it will probably prohibit flow some and therefore you may run into the problem of your pump being too much for your overflow to handle. I tried it once with some fishing line, weaving it through my overflow teeth and ended up almost draining my sump :shock: Was just too much restriction. I ended up switching to a CPR overflow which is pretty good at keeping the small fish out. :)

I use gutter guard on mine doesn’t block any significant flow. Small fish may be able to pass threw like a small goby.

I've seen gutter guard as well as egg crate aka light diffuser used for an overflow guard.

I went to home depot and a am unsure how you would use a gutter guard with an overflow. Maybe a photo someone? Also how the heck would you install it?

Here is a few pictures of mine.
I just cut it to fit the opening and split a few squares to hang onto the glass and keep it in place and then you can see from the top view, it sits under the frame of the tank.

b_162916.jpg

b_162948.jpg

b_163006.jpg

That is not what I found at home depot! Where did you get that? That's what I was looking for

Well I think I got it at ACE but I figured you could get it any ware.
Sorry about that.
Heck I have a 25ft roll of it you could cut what you need from if you were in the area.

Back