Fish Mouth Peeling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good to hear they are doing better!

The Fresh water dip should alleviate most symptoms (except the stress)
Lets hope that it isn't a disease, and are just multiple signs of stress from all the tank activity.

Lee, the Ich symptoms I saw were the little sand sized white specs on the abdomen, stress marks, abrasions, and not eating.
The white spots were enough, and the others were more confirmation.

If any tiny white/grey spots show up in the bottom of the dip water, what would be your diagnosis and prognosis?

I do not see enough white spots to convince me it was Marine Ich. I could only definitely claim there was a white spot on the frontal photo of the fish, with the other photos not corroborating spots over the rest of the body. The one or maybe two spots can be pimples. A bigger picture includes other symptoms. In the case of most Tangs, a Marine Ich infection usually is widespread and not confined to just one or two spots.

If there are 'things' in the bath water, it depends on their size and shape. However, they can range from flukes, worms, and parasitic higher forms to pathogens as small as Marine Velvet. Also, if by chance the black spots are related to one of the parasites like those that create Black Ich, the FW bath should alter the black spottiness of the fish after a couple of days. (These parasites will be unseen by the unaided eye in the bath water). The FW bath is a good test, but too many would-be 'helpers' recommend it off-hand as a treatment, without taking advantage of its true strength -- its diagnostic feature.

Thank Lee, as always you are a HUGE help and though I might be biased, the best fish doc we have had. Hope you get some satisfaction here and some day perhaps get a book published for us to buy.

Well, I couldn't see anything in the dip water! He has been eating great again for the past few days! The mouth looks like it got a little worse but now seems like it's getting better. I'm just going to keep the parameters in check and keep offering him enough food. The spots still seem to be on his body but not nearly as bad. No other fish in the tank seem to be acting any different. He's swimming around again; my only concern is the dark spots...I will just keep a close eye on him! Thanks again for everyones help and advise!

Back