Fish Shopping! What should I add?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaredpilot

Hi folks, I have a stable 160g setup consisting of only fish and about 200 LBS of Live rock. The tank has been setup for about 8 months now with everything appearing to be stable for quite some time.

My tank consists of a variety of snails, a few shrimps and a descent amount of blue legged crabs. The most aggressive fish in the tank is a medium sized Hippo tang. Accompannied by a peaceful medium sized Naso and a pair of happy Clown fish. The Hippo has become increasingly more aggressive towards the Naso as he is a bit territorial and pushy when eating time comes around. I'm feeding them all seaweed and mysis shrimp.

I'm yearning to add some fish to the tank and utilize it's large size. I'm trying to avoid any tempermental or difficult to keep fish. However, I'm attracted to the exotic looking and beautiful fish that are out there and they tend to be a bit more aggressive. I love tangs, triggers and others of that sort, but I acknowledge the need to limit those in my tank. I'm looking for suggestions to add a little excitement to the tank and possibly neutralize the Hippo's behavior.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

P.S. The Yellow Tang is no longer here, been gone for awhile now...

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    61.9 KB
Jared,

since you are in Bothell, you should swing by my house and see my 375g tank with 15 fish...
this might give you some ideas as I stock these fish over 1.5yrs..

letme know.

Kirk

Jared,

since you are in Bothell, you should swing by my house and see my 375g tank with 15 fish...
this might give you some ideas as I stock these fish over 1.5yrs..

letme know.

Kirk

I would like that, will you be around between Saturday and Sunday?

Jared,

Yes. I am off all week so if during the day is better for you, let me know, otherwise, the weekend is OK..Sunday is the better day, as Saturday I am setting up a tank in my office.

Kirk

Looks like you have a lot of options with you tank size,stop bye we could talk about different types of fish.

ARSA

and also try and get in touch with LES wet pets hawaii a sponser here he has a sale going on now. good time to get on some great fish

My Naso came from Les, just not sure if I want anything else from that region. I wouldn't mind a blue throat trigger however...

Jared,

Yes. I am off all week so if during the day is better for you, let me know, otherwise, the weekend is OK..Sunday is the better day, as Saturday I am setting up a tank in my office.

Kirk

Kirk,

Your tank looks amazing from the pictures I've seen. I will let you know my schedule asap, however I'm out of state and don't know the exact time I'll be home Saturday but I assume Sunday will work out just fine.

Have you or anyone else had any experiences with Clown Triggers? I love their colors and beauty but not real sure about suitability and care levels...

I know what you’re talking about when you say you want more excitement in the tank. I have the same feeling about the tank I have that is similar to yours. Here is my recommendation. Try and take a look at an online site like saltwaterfish.com. What you can do is select a type of fish you want and the site will list all the fish they have on the site in the category you selected like reef safe or peaceful or what ever. This can give you an idea of what fish would be a good match for your tank and what kind of community you want. What I found is you will have to look hard for fish the do well in a heavily stocked tank. in other words play nice and be colorful. That’s a tuff thing to do. I spent countless hours doing exactly that. Some of the really colorful fish I liked don’t play nice with others or like to eat coral. The cool fish I wanted would not play nice with others and so on. The list of fish kept shrinking and shrinking. So with out looking too far and not very expensive damsel fish started looking pretty good. They are very colorful and active and in a large tank they play nice together if you add bunches at a time to the tank. If you ad just one it can tend to be piled up on that one for a while. You know the new guy on the block pecking order thing. Anyway I here Kirk has a real nice tank and some wonderful fish. You would enjoy a tour of it if you get a chance. Since you’re out of town if you look on my tank link at the bottom I have a list of fish and there are some videos of the fish to give you some ideas about stocking. I don’t remember the exact number at the moment but I think is some where around 40 fish and they all seem to get along well and I have some theories as to why that is. I don’t know if I could recommend that many for every one but its worked well for me and its very exciting and every new person that come into the house always just stares in amazement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.orafarm.com/images/springer_dotty.jpg

Springer's Dottyback - Pseudochromis springeri

Another beautiful dottyback from the Red Sea, Springer's Dottyback is an excellent addition to the reef aquarium. Its coloration is black with blue lines running through the head region. Springer's Dottyback it is a very active, graceful swimmer, and is a joy to watch working their way around the rocky reef.

As with other dottybacks, Springer's may be territorial and is aggressive towards members of its own species. It is suggested that they be kept one per tank, unless paired or housed in a very large aquarium. Springer's Dottyback is very hardy and easy to keep. Feeding frozen shrimp such as brine or mysid is best. Reproductive behavior is similar to the Orchid Dottyback.

i have one in my tank as well. i love the colors on them they just stand out.

Back