Fish Suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gmarchetti

I'd like to get a new fish for our tank. Any suggestions? I was thinking a Bi-color Blennie would be nice.

Thanks,
Gina

Salt: .024
Temp: 78 degrees
55 gallon tank
1 Maroon Clown
2 Anemone
Several Mushrooms
Polyps
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Brittle Star
1 small red star
1 Sand Star
Several snails and hermits
2 large corals
2 small corals
1 small Blue Tang

A BC Blenny is one of the greatest additions to a tank possible.

The have loads of character and get along with just about anything (except possibly another blenny)...

It is a great gentle and fun fish.

Highly recommend!

You could look into a Goby, they're big people watchers, maybe even a Pistol Shrimp to go along with it. A mate for your Maroon clown is another option as well. I would keep your number of fish under 6 also.

Thanks! Are the Blennies easy to feed? One web-site said they eat bits of meat- like squid or shrimp but another site said they are veggie eaters which would be easier. Although I appreciate every piece of advice- I don't think I'll get a mate for the Maroon Clown. He is very aggressive- every time I stick my hand in the tank to fix something he attacks me and draws blood! I can't imagine what he would do to me if he had a mate!

Thanks,
Gina

Blennies are great little fish. They have personality and a half. I have a bicolored in my 29 gallon along with a juvenile pair of cinnamon clowns and a chalk basslet. They all get along fine. The blenny will eat just about anything the rest of your fish will.

DrHank - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I don't think I'll get a mate for the Maroon Clown. He is very aggressive- every time I stick my hand in the tank to fix something he attacks me and draws blood! I can't imagine what he would do to me if he had a mate!

Thanks,
Gina

GSM clowns are notorious for being nasty. How long have you had her? If she has been in the tank alone (without another GSM clown) then she is likely female. You will probably want to keep an eye on any new addition to the tank, and make sure she isn't beating it up. Although, the new addition will probably learn very quickly to stay away from the anemone. If you are interested in more information on clowns, check out this thread: Amphiprionidae (Clownfish) Workshop. It is from our own resident expert on clownfish. It is still going after a year and a half :).

On a side note, how long have you had the blue tang in your tank? How large is it, and do you have plans of upgrading your tank?

Thanks-
The funny thing is that the Clown does not bother ANYTHING else. There even was a crab living in its anemone at one point and it could care less. When the Tang was introduced it pretty much left it alone- it's just me it has a vendetta against. As for the Tang- yea I know- everyone tells me that I shouldn't have it because of their size. All I can say is that we got the tank from the previous owner, he had a fully grown Yellow Tang, the Clown, a Mandarin and a Fire goby and everything else for years without a problem. Now, we just have the Clown, Tang (which is currently small- only about 2 inches). If it gets too big our LFS will take him back, but that seems like a long way off and considering a Yellow Tang was fine in the tank I am thinking there won't be an issue? Especially if I don't plan on getting any other fish after I get a third one.

Thanks,
Gina

What does anyone think about a Jawfish? I like the fish that burrow and peek out- I know Jawfish jump- my tank seems pretty well covered except for an inch or so around the skimmer. I think Blennies sound wonderful, but I am exploring the Jawfish option too or maybe a Goby.

Thanks,
Gina

Gina, just because the Yellow tang seemed fine in the 55, doesn't mean that it is right to keep a blue tang in a 55. These fish get large, and it is up to us as aquarists to provide the right environment for our livestock. It will grow faster than you think.

As for the jawfish, I've not had experience keeping them. I do know it is important to have appropriate substrate and substrate depth for them. Also, you'll want to make sure your rocks are secured, in the event the jawfish makes its home under them. It is also recommended to not have fast swimming fish as tankmates (such as a tang). The jawfish can fit through the holes of eggcrate, so if your cover consists of eggcrate, cover it with a screening type material.

From the article: Let's Jaw about Jawfish

In such cases when 12" of sandbed is not realistic, I would consider 6" as being the absolute minimum. This is a personal observation only. Others have recommended a 3" sandbed as a minimum (Fenner, Wet Web Media). When you take into consideration that the minimum depth for a jawfish's den in the wild is 4", a 3" sandbed seems extremely inadequate. You can use fine grain, or "Southdown" sand, but be prepared for the jawfish to clear away a large area on his first night. When I say, "be prepared," I mean with appropriately sized rubble for the jawfish to use in building its den. This includes most any rubble larger than 10mm in width. Don't forget to include plenty of broken coral branches, pieces of coral limestone, bivalve and snail shells.

Hope this helps!

Gina, slow down and enjoy the livestock you already have. I know that there are lots of wonderful and colorful animals and that it would be nice to have one of each. Last one I know of who could do it was Noah.

You definitely have fish tank fever. Take a brief time out and spend some time learning about the livestock compatibility and tank maintenance. The stickys in each of the forums are worth exploring. They contain information that the moderators, administrator and many seasoned hobbiests feel are beneficial to all. I think that you will find the answers to many questions you may have. I've been doing saltwater on and off (mostly on) for over 35 years and I learn something new almost every day.

I'm sure that you have found a hobby that you will enjoy for many years but the one thing that even I have to force myself to do from time to time is slow down and enjoy what I have. Remember, most things that happen quickly in the hobby are bad!

Good post DrHank!

Gina - how long have you had this tank up and running? There are a plethora of articles on different species of reef fish in the Reef Fish section of our library. I hope you find it helpful in researching your livestock.

if you have time to feed , an anthias would an excelent fish for you... Squamipinis (orange anthias) are orange and easy to keep in your set up... and will swin all the time..

Thank you for the advice- I am curious about what an Anthias is. We have had the tank for almost 3 years, so how long does one have to own a tank before they no longer have "fish fever"? My intention was to ask questions and learn. When the Tang grows too large we will find a nice home for him if it comes to that, or upgrade to a bigger tank and system. Currently, it is definitely not a concern.

Thanks, Gina

Gina - 3 years is plenty of time for a tank to mature :) (although we can still go through periods of fish fever), and asking questions is the best way to go about stocking a tank appropriately. Research through asking questions and reading articles/books is the best way to gain knowledge in this hobby. We have the responsibility to provide the best environment we can for our stock. I'm glad to see that you would find a new home for the tang, as they really do require a fair amount of swimming room. I have 2 tangs in my 120 gallon, and I know it is going to be too small eventually. They require at least 6 feet of swimming space.

Anthias are really cool fish. Here are a couple of articles on them from the Reef Fish section of our library:

Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part 1 by Henry Schultz, III

Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part 2 b Henry Schultz, III

Fathead Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus) by Scott Michael

Anthiinae - the Fancy Basses by Anthony Calfo

Also, this thread, which actually turned into a long thread: Anthias Compatability

Back