fish swap

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

insanity4224

This was my original stocking list i posted to you guys and you said it would be fine... Tank is 250gal reef.

1x leopard wrasse
1x dwarf fuzzy lion
2x wantanabe angel: mated pair
1x harlequin tusk
1x goldstripe maroon/spine cheek
1x rabbit (s. vulpinas)
1x either purple tang OR powder blue
1x bluechin Trigger

However i'm considering swapping the dwarf lion for a small harem of Anthias (not sure what spp. i would research that later on...) but i am concerned that they may be outcompeted for food by the other fish that are planktivors also... eg: 'bluechin Trigger'.

What do you guys think i should do (what would you do)??

considering swapping

Good morning to Australia:
I don't have any recommendations But I will share what I have In one of my Tanks.
leopard wrasse, Disbar Anthias and Scribbled Rabbit fish - Siganus doliatus: all in the same tank and all 3 species are Model citizens and they all get along great. As for the question on the trigger I am sorry never had one but I am sure some one hear has had one and they will give you some feed back have a great day...And good luck on your choices...Jeff

This was my original stocking list i posted to you guys and you said it would be fine... Tank is 250gal reef.

1x leopard wrasse
1x dwarf fuzzy lion
2x wantanabe angel: mated pair
1x harlequin tusk
1x goldstripe maroon/spine cheek
1x rabbit (s. vulpinas)
1x either purple tang OR powder blue
1x bluechin Trigger

However i'm considering swapping the dwarf lion for a small harem of Anthias (not sure what spp. i would research that later on...) but i am concerned that they may be outcompeted for food by the other fish that are planktivors also... eg: 'bluechin Trigger'.

What do you guys think i should do (what would you do)??

The Leopard would be the competition, not the trigger. What you purpose shouldn't be a problem considering the tank size as long as there's abundant rock and the tanks matured some. Other than that, it's really going to come down to the species you choose. Many will still require 2+ feedings each day.

Thanks guys, sounds good coz im putting in alot of live rock (although swimming space is also a big issue so i wont overdo it) and my tank will slowly mature and livestock added over about a year or so.

can anyone suggest any particular anthais that are well behaved and not tooooo hard to keep? also have to look good and preferably have a male that looks different to the females as i want a male with 3 or 4 females:) plenty of sex for that guy lol

they are handy but dont help to make a conclusion, i have already read the reefkeeping.com anthias articles and they basically all point to the fact that anthias are a pain in the ass to keep. i know they are difficult but what REALLY confuses the crap out of me is when i look at a 'tank o the month' and they have anthias in a bright, shallow, sps tank that is recomended for a dim light aquarium! it seems that 'tank of the months' seem to break all the rules:| i dont get how these guys get away with angels, mixed sps with soft corals ect in their thriving reef tanks... if you get what i mean.

-jason

I really like the lyer tail anthias, i would like a super male with 3 or 4 females. do you think this is a suitable choice? (250gal sps)

Lyretail anthias would actually do fine. They are usually one of the "easier" species of Anthias. The key with these guys is to give them plenty of time to settle and add only to a stable tank. Especially one that is not in a constant state of transition where you might be tempted to move/change things in or around the tank. If left for several weeks or more in that kind of uninterrupted peace (no aggression/stress), you'll be that much more successful.

sounds good, basically the tank you just described will be like mine, by the way i went to adelaide and saw it and it is sooooo awsome!!!!!!:)
i will probly get it home before christmass

Back