~Fish Trap~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Woodstock

I <3 clown fish!
I have had several inquiries as to how I catch fish in my reef so I wanted to share this with everyone. With the exception to pistol shrimp and clowns that stay within inches of their host, I have used this trap to catch any and all animals in my reef. I hope you find it useful~~

TRAP_anthias.JPG

Thanks for posting the pic Doni. I love my fish trap and lend it out to local reefers when needed. I did have a hard time catching my bicolor blenny. It would sit at the door and look around, never going in. Eventually it took me leaving the room a day or two later (husband with fishing line in hand) to get him to go in. There is a type of trap out there, and you could probably do it with any trap, where the suction cups allow it to be higher in the tank. This would allow fish that don't venture towards the bottom to be caught.

I did modify the trap. It used to have 2 acrylic hangers that would allow it to hang from the top of the tank. I took them off because I was having much better luck with catching the fish on the bottom and they kept getting in the way.

bigT has a post around here somewhere, where he had trouble catching one of his fish in the trap. He wound up duct taping it and the fish went right in...go figure! :rolleyes:

Single Post - Just Go In!

Doni! Hi hi. Sorry I'm not in the RS chat at the moment. My DSL modem broke...new one being sent...so I'm at UW on school computers at the moment.

THe fish trap idea looks great. I have a couple of fishes I'm supposed to trap soon.....so i'll be needing ideas... :)

Best,
Ilham

Trapeze is the name of the trap that looks like yours and has suction cups so you can mount it to the glass. I have one and gave one to DR. Deano and mtndewman, everyone loves it, but I just tried the web site and its not up, don't know what is going on. You can also use a wide mouth mason jar with a round mirror siliconed in the bottom, the fish sees the other fish in the bottom of the jar and he well go in to say Hi, put a net over the opening and lift out, works most everytime

Back