Fish wanted!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooterman

I'm looking for more fish in my 5ft 100g tank. I have a 3.5" Hippo & a fat 6-line. I think one of the things I miss is having several fish swimming around in my glass box. I had problems before with certain fish, so now I want to make certain of what I'm getting into when it comes to a community tank. I prefer non aggressive reef safe types, hardy, sorta looking for some around the size of my hippo but not too small or one that will get too big, as I know eventually the hippo will get around 6 or 7 inches from what I've seen, at the growth rate, I'd say it will take a few more years to get close to that size.
Soo without farther adieu, please post your thoughts & suggestions. & I'll probably get to post a picture of the winner if I'm lucky.

I think you ought to maybe try one of the reef safe triggers like a bluejaw. The pyramid butterfly is also reef safe. Good luck with whatever you choose!! :D

7 days to Daytona :D :D :D

Last edited:
Hey Charlie, is that trigger aggressive? I thought they grew to become very large?
Speed week freak huh!

Scooterman said:
Hey Charlie, is that trigger aggressive? I thought they grew to become very large?
Speed week freak huh!

I have had my trigger for about 4 months now, and she has shown no aggression at all. They may get big, a little over 8", but that isn't much bigger than your tang is gonna be!
Yeah, I'm lookin forward to this week a whole bunch!!!!

I have a male carpenter wrasse in quar. I got it from Dave at Vivid. It has to be one of the nicest ones I have ever seen. I think they are just awesome fish. Its for another tank not for me. Now I think I will have to get one for me. LOL Just a thought. Fast active beautiful fish. Steve

Scooterman - is there a certain type of fish that you really like, but don't think you would be successful? Are you looking for something that schools, pairs, or single fish? I'm struggling with which clownfish species I want, there are so many options.

Hey Scott,
Before I throw a huge list of fish at you....what kind of flow do you have in the tank, (high flow = no slow moving fish), and what kinds of corals or other inverts do you have in the tank, (If you love feather dusters, then obviously some butterflies are off limits...lotsa clams, no centropyge angles etc...)

Nick

Nick, I'm moving away from softies, keeping LPS now, eventually going towards adding some sps also. I have about 35x over in flow & after I moved my tank (when I ever finish the new flooring project) I plan on reworking the entire system, which will include an even more aggressive flow system in place. I'm thinking right now, I'm looking for one additional fish to compete with my Regal (hippo) in the medium size range.

OOps, I guess I missed these replies! I would love to keep more wrasses but with a 6 line, this won't happen, he already took out two fairies & one hog fish. Nikki, I want a peaceful fish, one that won't get over 5 or 6 inches maybe ,& most of all, I want a fish that hits my eyes when I look at it. I love the Maroon gold band clown but the problem with any clown is they are in the damsel family, unless it was tank raised & I had all the other fish I wanted & had a bigger tank then yes I'd love to have another. If you ever find a gold banded maroon clown, you will know what I'm talking about they are beautiful but very territorial.

Scott,
I'd really consider one of the Genicanthus Angels for your tank as "Centerpiece" fish. I currently have a smaller female Bellus angel in my tank and love her. Doesnt bother my clams or anything else in the tank. Thye generally stay smaller with an average size of around 6-8 inches in length. There are 3 different Genicanthus angels for sale currently at Antlantis Aquarium and they've had them for a few weeks at least. My Bellus looks like the one pictured for sale, as opposed to the preserved specimen shown in the article.
I like the Ctenochaetus tangs too...a Chevron would look great in your tank and would have lots to graze on in a 5 foot tank. They are also peaceful, but will change color and grow to a max length of 11-ish inches.....I've honestly never seen one that large, but John Randall knows his stuff so......
With a 5 foot tank you might also consider some anthias.....I have no experiance with them so I cant exactly give you first hand accounts with them, but Bartelets are sposed to be easier to keep...
And if your 6 line is killing other fish....I'd say get him out of there...
Nick

WOW Nick, that is some good information, I never really considered Angles because most are either large in size or aggressive but the information you posted I can do some reading. I think If I get a large enough fish the 6 line will leave it alone, he only fought with his own species. Again thanks Nick for your time, I will keep a post on what I pick out & go from there, I'm not going to rush this, not this time anyways.

Two words.... Naso Tang. Fun to watch and peacefull, eats from your hand, and just gets more colorfull with age. I have one with my hipo and they are best buds.
Erik

Hey Scott;

Did you decide yet? Rabbitfishes weren't in the running? Several species are in the same size range as the hippo and I think they are great tank members; interesting, beautiful, usually out and about and peaceful.

I've been looking still, I didn't look much into rabbit fish though, that would be nice, wonder if they are as hardy as a hippo.

Swallowtail Angelfish

I was thinking of this fish, I though about getting one a year ago.
You can find it at Live Aqua, So what does everyone think?
Think she will get alone with a Hippo, & a 6 line wrasse?

Yeah, the Genicanthus angels are pretty cool. Mine chases a cleaner wrasse around every now and again, and really pigs out at dinner time, but thats all the aggression I see from her.

Nick

How hardy is the swallowtail? I've always liked the looks of them but was nervous to try one.

From my understanding the most difficult part is finding one that isnt having any swim bladder issues from too rapid of a decompression. Mine has no issues in that regard.
I will however say that I was reeeeeeaaaalllly close to removing mine the other day. She was nipping at everything in the tank...clams, corals, rocks, etc....
I was not happy. Here is this angel which is sposed to be reef safe since its a planktivore, and its nipping at everything!!!! Thats your dog suddenly climbing trees outside!!
Anyway, today had no such issues. She did nip at my clams, but not nearly as much as yesterday. What I think happened was this...
I'm dealing with an RTN issue with two small aqua-cultured table acros..and I think the angel saw some of the tissue waving in the current and nipped at it. When it was able to eat the tissue it started looking around elsewhere.
I didnt see her nip at any of my acros today, I will keep notes and let you guys know what happens with mine.
I havent ever heard of any of these angels not being reef safe before, and she never did this before the RTN incident...so maybe I'm just the really lucky guy who found the one Bellus angel which likes to nip at things.
I havent seen any damage to anything she has nipped at.
Nick

Masked Swallowtail Angel
Genicanhtus semifasciatus Members of the genus Genicanthus are planktivores and will not bother corals or clams in the aquarium, making them the perfect reef angel. Safer than all other angels, including all pygmy angels. Does great in captivity, the the Masked Swallowtail is seldom available. Average size is about 3".

I'm still reading & researching but I found this one, very hardy but @ $149 also pricy. I'm still thinking, thanks for the information & questions, it gets me thinking & rethinking every time lol, I don't want many fish, three or 4 at the most, so right now I'll continue with number 3. I'm currently working on my CL system, & a phosphate reactor set-up. In a few months I also plan on relocating my tank to a better location (as far as having the room I need, I'll miss it in the living room).

Nick, sorry to hear about RTN, that is something else, I hope you get to the bottom of this and succeed.

Back