fishes are dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sunny_mittu

my fishes die after i put them in my tank they have shedding skin then they die other fishes are doing fine and my lion fish has white eye he can not see is it due to too much oxygen or some desease amonia is .5 and nitite is also .5 nitrate are high and 1.023 gravity

we need more info about your tank. and a pic would be helpfully in a id of a disease.

How old is your tank? Your tank may still be cycling. I would for sure do a 20% waterchange. THose levels you posted should all be at 0. Your salt level is okay, but everything else neds to be 0. Tell us more about your tank like do you have live rock? How much do you have? What type of filtration are you using? How big is your tank?

Giving us answers to these questions can help us to help you.

Normally, your 1.023 salt level would be great...but lower salt levels boosts the effect of Ammonia. As was mentioned above, your Ammonia and Nitrate levels should both be 0. Your Nitrite levels could be somewhat elevated but should be below 10 ppm. The Ammonia and Nitrates are the ones that will kill though.

Agree that ammonia is a killer, but nitrites are worse than nitrates

Agreed, that ammonia level is deadly. However in a marine tank, nitrites are virtually harmless under 100ppm.

Let me find some sources.

Last edited:
Nitrite

Aquarists' concerns about nitrite are usually imported from the freshwater hobby. Nitrite is far less toxic in seawater than in freshwater. Fish are typically able to survive in seawater with more than 100 ppm nitrite!17 Until future experiments show substantial nitrite toxicity to reef aquarium inhabitants, nitrite is not an important parameter for reef aquarists to monitor. Tracking nitrite in a new reef aquarium can nevertheless be instructive by showing the biochemical processes that are taking place. In most cases, I do not recommend that aquarists bother to measure nitrite in established aquaria.

yeah i agree that amonia is what is killing your fish, I'd take the fish out take them to your LFS and have them hold them for you and wait till your tank cycles till you put inhabitants in it.

information

Agree that ammonia is a killer, but nitrites are worse than nitrates

first of all my is my tank is 2 months old and i have done full cleaning 3 times i dont know
i wanna ask u guys that if put hole water with ro/di water it wont cyclem and i also have corals which 1 brain coral 2 amenone one spounge

Last edited:
hmmmmm i think you might be confused a little about the way the "cycle" works that we are refering 2,

your tank should not have any sign's of NH4 (amonina) or no2(nitrite) what happens here, is if your tank is showing sign's no2, that means the cycle is either not complete, or not stable enough....

I see that there is several things in your tank. Did you by chance add all these things at once? that would spike your nh4, your tank is probly trying to over come the excess nh4 thus leaveing a little left over no2,

as suggested above, water changes with rodi over the next few days might save you.....

Im not sure what you mean by "hole water with rodi"

there is no way around a cycle, its needed to maintain the water in your tank no matter what skimmer what rock what lights you have... the waste needs to be prosessed and converted. and with out a stable cycle you will not be able to maintain that.

a full detail of everything you have done in the last 2 months will make these guys (who rock!) give you a better explanation of whats going on...

full water stats, temp, no2, no3 nh4, ph4, time the lights turn on/turn off. what power heads you got, how much rock, how much sand, what kinda of skimmer (if any) how you added everything, when you added it, did you acclamated. sump, all of your people liveing in your tank (yes people live there 2)

Do you have a rodi system? what kind of salt brand you use? do you have a refractometer?
good luck my friend

should i take out my corals

should i take out all my corals and anemone till the time water will stable

should i take out all my corals and anemone till the time water will stable

You will risk loosing them all if you don't. Do you have a friend you can give them to?

Back