Fitoplankton ?????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you mean phytoplankton? I dont think its like steroids, and since unless you are very careful with dosage can foul you tank, it can be bad. It is more for filter feeders like feather dusters and clams, in my opinion. I know that some corals use it, but its best not to just indescrimitley add it. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I agree, most corals don't care much for the stuff. Scallops, clams, feather dusters and so on will eat it; but it's main use as far as I'm concerned is feeding rotifers, if you're eager to go through the frustration of culturing them that is (the rotifers).

Clayton

thank you for the info and the spelling correction.maybe i'm asking the wrong question.
what can I do to boost xenia, yellow polyps, open brain, bubbles and some native hard corals in my tank.

Excelent Water quality, good lighting and ample water flo. Keep your water parameters in line and your good to go. If you want to feed your corals then try some fresh seafood. I buy the mixed bag of frozen seafood at the Safeway store. It comes with Clams, shrimp,squid,octopi and other bits and pieces. I small slices of the clam and shrimp and feed the torches,frogspawns and hammers and the like. I also feed my fish a mixed assortment of fresh and frozen foods like myses and krill. The corals will get some leftovers from this. I also use Reef Chili sometimes. You can find it at www.reefchili.com. This stuff works really good. Most importantly keep a good eye on your water quality especially if you are gonna feed this heavy like I do. My corals are growing fast. Are you using Kalkwasser? After you have done this add a good helping of patience....this is the best thing you can have. What are your lights?

Hope this helps

Jay

Wow do I feel like a fool. I guess I was taken with the rest. This is a constant learning thing for me. When I said feeding heavy I didnt meen with the reef chili, I meen feeding in general. I keep a close eye on my parameters and have lots of current to keep things suspended as much as is feesible. This with the heavy skimming keeps the water in good condition. I also do the bi-weekly water changes and use fresh carbon every 2 weeks. I can see a pretty good difference when I started feeding a little more. Just mt 2 cents though.

Thenks for the heads up Steve. I will give it some thought

Jay

75g, Proclear Skimmer And Wetdry, Rio 2100 Return, Mag 350 W/carb, 80lbs Lr, 804 Powerhead, Ca 1400 Powerhead, 2 96w Pc And 4 40w Flo, openbrain, Bubbles, Xenia, Yellow Stars, Native ( Miami ) Small Closed Brain, Paisley Mandarin, Diamond Goby, Engineer Goby, Cat Fish, Foxface, Blue Tang, Clown, Yellow Tang, Yellow Cromis, 2 Emerald Crabs, Over 20 Snails, Over 15 Hermits. No Kalkwasser, Iodine, B-ionoc Calcium, Strontium. Please Tell And I Will Follow. I Think I Could Use More Lighting. I Started A New Piggybank Please Advise On Type Of Lamp I Should Add. I Belive I Should Upgrade From The No Flo That I Have.
And Thanks For Your Repsonce.

MYCAPTIVESEA said:
75g, Proclear Skimmer And Wetdry, Rio 2100 Return, Mag 350 W/carb, 80lbs Lr, 804 Powerhead, Ca 1400 Powerhead, 2 96w Pc And 4 40w Flo, openbrain, Bubbles, Xenia, Yellow Stars, Native ( Miami ) Small Closed Brain, Paisley Mandarin, Diamond Goby, Engineer Goby, Cat Fish, Foxface, Blue Tang, Clown, Yellow Tang, Yellow Cromis, 2 Emerald Crabs, Over 20 Snails, Over 15 Hermits. No Kalkwasser, Iodine, B-ionoc Calcium, Strontium. Please Tell And I Will Follow. I Think I Could Use More Lighting. I Started A New Piggybank Please Advise On Type Of Lamp I Should Add. I Belive I Should Upgrade From The No Flo That I Have.
And Thanks For Your Repsonce.

Hello again. With the type of system you have either 175 or 250 watt halides would be ok but thats a pretty drastic upgrade. It depends on what you want to have in your tank. I personally have 4 110 watt 48 inch VHO bulbs. I use URI bulbs ( these are the best IMO ) 2 super actinic and 2 actinic white.
I have had great growth in my corals with my torches and frogspawns splitting pretty often. The VHO are great for soft corals and LPS. I wont be using halides on this tank because I wonr be keeping any animals that require them. I have another tank with sps corals and have 250 watt halide system.
To see pictures of my LPS/soft coral tank look here. There is about 8 pages in the gallery. I like the VHO because there is are no heat issues.

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8802

Jay

Jay I'm Worried About Heat With The Halides ( Maybe Two ) Not To Mention The Expense. Do You Think If I Doubble My Pc's It Would Suffice. That Would Be More Aquireable Fo My Budget. And I Would Remove My No Flos. I LOOKED AT YOUR GALLERY AND I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY WITH A SETUP LIKE THAT. EXCELLENT JOB VERY BEUTIFUL. AND THANKS AGAIN PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE.

Last edited:
Well....I started with power compacts. They were ok for a while, and I tried a couple different lights. I think you would be happier with either T5 lights or the VHO's like I have. Do look into the T5 setups. They are new to the hobby and I hear you can keep clams and SPS corals. Compare the T5 setups to halides I guess but without the heat. I dunno....I have never used them.
Do you have a canopy over your tank you could install ts or VHO setups?
I had my fixture custom made buy the gent off ebay but he isnt doing them anymore. I got a great deal only $170 without the bulbs. BTW 4 46.5 URI bulbs will set you back $100 shipped to your door so figure that when you shop. Its all a money pit but once the investment is made you can have years of enjoyement.

Call me oldfashion but I love my VHO setup :cool:

Jay

Back