Fix your Odyssea 250 watt silver box HQI ballast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ac7av

Bring on the FISH!
I just wanted to let you know that this modification really works and works well. I did this mod to my ballasts after reading this post and it was easy and took less then an hour to do the mod and test all the ballasts after the mod. If you are also having start up issues where the light will turn on and off and have to restart again after several minutes this mod also corrects this annoying problem. If you have these ballasts like many do because you could buy the entire fixture for less then the ballasts to run the fixture on eBay, in my case the 72 inch unit for less then $500, this is well worth your wile even if you don’t have any starting problems you will be amazed how much more light you could get from that fixture. Also I mite add that the ballasts after the mod are running cooler and that is probably important to say because before the mod they got pretty hot to the point that it was concerning at times.

The wattage of my ballasts (when I could get them all to start) was 170, 199, and 214.

The wattage after the mod was 248, 250, and 261.

Here is the link from Nano-Reef about the mod.
I have to say I did change a few things and that was I relocated the ground wire that is clamed into the screw hole at the end to the screw for the foot by stripping the end ¾ of an inch and soldering it into a ring and also put some heat sink compound on the chip on the side of the case.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=174113

Just to add on to this thread, this mod should only be done with the last generation odyssea ballasts which are silver! You will be wasting your time modding the new generation ballasts which are black. Odyssea has made some adjustments to run the ballasts wattage to what they are suppose to be.

Yes it will only work with the silver ballast only like the title says, this will not do anything for the black ballasts, they seem to work fine.

Back