Flame Angel ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

Just curious what the Flame angels are into eating. I have a few corals, frogspawn, candy cane and mushrooms. .

I really like them but not sure what they mean by not reef safe?

They tend to nip on the mantles of clams, and would possibly takes a bit out of any sponges or softies in the tank. I doubt that it would bother the frogspawn or the other aforementioned inverts. I had one eat at the underside of a carpet anemone, but I'm not sure if he was responsible for the initial wound.

Just curious what the Flame angels are into eating. I have a few corals, frogspawn, candy cane and mushrooms. .

I really like them but not sure what they mean by not reef safe?

Flames are unpredictable I bought one when another member broke his tank down (he had no problems with it nipping) I have regretted it ever since. It developed a taste for acans and taught my yellow tang how to eat acans. Now I've removed both fish lost one acan and two others haven't been the same since. This was the fish I wanted the most when I started this hobby and I won't have one again.

Flames are one of the lesser likely, of the Dwarf Angels, to nip corals or clams. However, with any Dwarf Angel of the Centropyge family, there are risks. Some, such as Bi-Color and Lemon Peel will "almost" always nip corals or clams. Then some like the Coral Beauty, Flame, Nox, and Eiblis are less likely. There will always be exceptions though.

I have a two in my tank and so far <knock on wood> they have NOT bother any corals..the key I believe is keeping them well feed..I feed at least 3 times a day with a snack or two in between.

the biggest thing though is u dont wanna put one in there and have it eating your coral cuz having to catch a fish out of a coral tank is a nightmare

I had one flame angel that didn't eat coral and another that nipped at sps, lps and zoanthids. It's a toss up.

Do the dwarf angels nip because there is something missing from their diet? Do they require a more frequent feeding schedule?

dwarf angels feed on the live rock all day and love little knooks to swim in and out...IMO, a good environment for dwafs, is a lot of live rock and a seasoned tank..

Back