Flame Devil needs to be trapped

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey All,

I recieved some GEORGOUS sps colonies yesterday and my Flame Angel (AKA Flame Devil) almost immediately developed a taste for milli polyps!!! Same story you hear all the time... It's been a great fish for over a year now and yesterday it was treating a new milli like and all you can eat buffet. THEN it took a few polyps off of other sps I had already had in the tank!!!

I tried to trap it with a long clear bag with food in it and the milli colony but it is smarter than rest of the fish..

Does anyone have a reef tank spear gun!!!??? Good DIY traps??? Have a trap you can reccomend and any tricks??

Once it's caught it will be off to a good home. In fact if you can trap it you can have it.

BTW This Flame Angel is the biggest and brightest I have seen of any by far. It's literally my favorite fish :( but I love my sps more....

I just contacted one of our local sponsors and they actually rent traps out for 5bux a week. Thank you Blue Sierra! I hope it works....

Any advice or tricks to use these effectively? I am concerned because I have a fairly large tank and it seems this may complicate things..

Have you tried the The two liter Bottle trick, where you invert the open end inside of bottle?

The fish is too big for that trick I'm affraid... I could try and cut a hole in it I guess. We'll see if the trap works and if not I'll try the bottle method. I am skeptical because it didn't go in a 24" long bag with a 8" opening with chromis having a feeding frenzy inside..

jlehigh - put food in and wait.....that's the best advice I can give. Big T tried to catch a Foxface, but it wouldn't go in the trap. He ended up putting duct tape on the trap and the fish finally figured out how to get in to get the food. I used a trap to catch my bicolor blenny. It took me 5 hours of watching the blenny hang out at the door (even had his favorite coral in there), while the rabbitfish happily swam in and out, before I called it quits for that day. The next day, however, my husband held the fishing line (attached to the trap door), while I went into the kitchen.....bam......the fish went in and was caught. Place the trap in a spot where the flame is the most. Good luck - let us know how it goes!

boy... Not too encouraging. The Angel goes EVERYWHERE all the time. One issue for me will be my chromis. I have 14 and they love to eat :) I will definately keep the fishing line in hand! I have a feeling my tank is going to have some excess nutrients by the time it's over.

Thanks Niki!

Try and feed the chromis, then put food in the trap. Or....catch the chromis and put them in a separate tank/rubbermaid container until the flame enters the trap :)

I have a a acrylic fish trap. What worked for me to catch a yellow tang. Was to not feed the tank for about three days. Fish get stupid when they are very hungry. As a matter of fact, I caught the blue face, and the naso at the same time. I had to close the door on them let them figure out the were traped and then let them out to get them to stop going in. The Naso just kept charging in and I had to let the door slam in his face over and over to get him give up. Then finally I caught the yellow tang. Hope this helps. Steve

This worked for me once - I went to a fly fishing shop and purchased a fly with the smallest hook available (if you never went into a fly shop, you'd be amazed how small of a fly they sell). I took a little chunck of frozen formula and dropped it in to the tank, and the bully saddle back clown took it like there was no tomorrow and I hooked my self a clown fish. The flame angels are pretty agressive so this may work on your fish.

jase0723 said:
This worked for me once - I went to a fly fishing shop and purchased a fly with the smallest hook available (if you never went into a fly shop, you'd be amazed how small of a fly they sell). I took a little chunck of frozen formula and dropped it in to the tank, and the bully saddle back clown took it like there was no tomorrow and I hooked my self a clown fish. The flame angels are pretty agressive so this may work on your fish.

I've actually heard of many people resorting to "fishing" the unwanted ones out of their tank1 :badgrin:

Well I rented an acrylic fish trap and had no luck after a few hrs... All of the Chromis. a Sailfin Tang, and a Clarki clown went into the trap. The angel sniffed out the entrance 3 or 4 times but never went in.. Odly enough it has stopped picking on the Milli... I have the trap for a week so we'll see how it goes.

LOL The fishing idea seems fun but also carries a few risks like accidently hooking something else or seriously injuring the fish (rather not if I dont have to).

The owner of one of our local fish stores told me about a guy that created a dart gun out of a straw and speared out to Damsels from his tank :)

Back