Flashlight fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eliterecon14

Pajama Cardinal
Would a flashlight fish be available anywhere, what would the cost be, and would it be fine in my nearly year old tank. I love nearly as much as mandarins.

Boy I hate common names. Unfortunately, there are fish in numerous Genera bearing the name Flashlight fish.

When you state Flashlight fish, are you speaking of an angler, a lanternfish, or a real flashlight fish?

Boy I hate common names. Unfortunately, there are fish in numerous Genera bearing the name Flashlight fish.

When you state Flashlight fish, are you speaking of an angler, a lanternfish, or a real flashlight fish?
the black thing with pouches, tried to get pic, but didn't work, The one that looks like a cardinalfish. Photoblepharon steinitzi sort

I don't know anything about them, but I do see them on liveaquaria.com (divers den) all the time. It might be worth checking out if you are interested.

Good luck :),

-augustus

From what I've been told, they do well in groups. They're also very shy creatures, and need low light, and really should have a dedicated species tank (though I would think a mandarin would be alright as a tank mate). They are often found on liveaquaria's Diver's Den in groups, which I think also attests for them being better off that way. In fact, I'm going to stress that I really think they need to be in groups. I imagine they're probably not only found that way, but that they communicate with each other using their bioluminescent patches, and perhaps could become stressed if they keep signaling and no fish signals back.

Temp - liveaquaria lists 72-78 (deeper water species, hence a bit colder water needed)

that sounds like a specialty fish to me.... maybe something that deserves its own special set up

curt, your new avatar makes me laugh:lol: i used to love that show as a kid

Back