Flatworm infestation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jellybowl

Hi all,

Not sure where to post this: I have a flatworm epidemic. I'm wondering if I could buy any "flatworm exit" or the something similar from anyone? It's about $35 at the LFS nearby.

G

I say don't do it. You can get rid of them over time by increasing flow, watching what you feed and not overfeeding. You can also siphon them them out during water changes.

+1 on not doing it. I had a flatworm outbreak and was able to overcome them by removing a bunch of them durring water changes and reduce feeding. I now have a sixline wrasse and never see flatworms. :)

Yeah $30 to $35 is what we usually pay for FWE.

I've used it twice and it's a very effective chemical.
You need to try and remove as many as you can before you use, by using a syphon and be ready to use carbon after treatment.

I'll definitely try to siphon them off and really reduce my feedings. If I used FWE, I think I would do some kind of dip with my rocks (in a bucket with the recommended dosing). My tank and rocks are small enough.

Thanks for the input. Nice to be a part of a community.

As for dosing, you'll find that most people have the best success with a much stronger dosage, which is totally safe. I've used 4X the recommended dosage, with great success and no negative effects to any tank inhabitants, except the flatworms...lol.

It's VERY important to reduce the population of Flatworms, BEFORE treatment. This is because Flatworms become toxic when they die. Most people who've had issues with treatment, have had issues because of the toxicity of the dead flatworms. Remove as many as possible before, AND as they die and float around, remove the dead bodies.

I used 2-3X the recommended dose on a 20 gallon tank about 8 years ago without any ill effects. Just like others have mentioned though, siphon out as many as you can before doing the treatment. Then after the treatment do a large water change.

If I remember correctly I did two 40-50 percent water changes after using the Salifert FlatWorm Exit.

If I ever were to get flatworms again I'd use the stuff again without hesitation.

I used 2-3X the recommended dose on a 20 gallon tank about 8 years ago without any ill effects. Just like others have mentioned though, siphon out as many as you can before doing the treatment. Then after the treatment do a large water change.

If I remember correctly I did two 40-50 percent water changes after using the Salifert FlatWorm Exit.

If I ever were to get flatworms again I'd use the stuff again without hesitation.

Look...if there is a fish to feed off of them then use a fish, but if not, then you need flat worm exit. I can't tell you how much it really works because it just does.

The problem with using a fish is that most fish that eat flat worms are aggressive fish and may not fit into the community that you keep.

best way to syphin is get a mesh bag with a rigid tub and air line hose long enough to reach your sump and they will collect in the bag with out loosing water...... I dosed the whole bottle when I had them in a 100 dt no ill effects my shrooms closed up for a minute then opened back up. but have already rinsed carbon ready and 1/3 system new salt water mixed and temp ready also. order online possibly cheaper with shipping over night.

FWE works good but FW will come back unless you change something in your tank. I added cleaner shrimp after the dose and I solved FW problem I had for 2 years.

FWE works good but FW will come back unless you change something in your tank. I added cleaner shrimp after the dose and I solved FW problem I had for 2 years.

Sometimes you have to repeat the treatments, if you have a heavy infestation, or just don't get them all the first time.
But I've never heard that they just come back on their own unless you reintroduce them on or corals or live rock.
In 20 years of keeping corals, I have had flat worms in my tanks twice, about 12 years apart.

what I meant to say was that FWE did not get rid of 100% of FW population so I added a cleaner shrimp to keep the FW population in check. I tried six-line and carnary warrase but they didn't even touch FW.

Sometimes you have to repeat the treatments, if you have a heavy infestation, or just don't get them all the first time.
But I've never heard that they just come back on their own unless you reintroduce them on or corals or live rock.
In 20 years of keeping corals, I have had flat worms in my tanks twice, about 12 years apart.

what I meant to say was that FWE did not get rid of 100% of FW population so I added a cleaner shrimp to keep the FW population in check. I tried six-line and carnary warrase but they didn't even touch FW.

So instead of a second treatment ( as I did ) you added a critter to finish the job.
Effective.

So which would be better to add? Some kind of wrasse (any type specifically?) and/or a cleaner or fire shrimp? I have a peppermint shrimp now but I think he only goes after small aptasias and detritus.

I tried wrasses but none of them touched FW. I had the best luck with FWE and cleaner shrimp to keep the FW population in check.
Make sure to do more than one treatment and dose double the recommended dose. I didn't lose anything from dosing the FWE in my tank.
PS - You shouldn't add warrase and shrimp togeather in your tank. Warsse will eat the shrimp.

Last edited:
I've used the recommended doseage and the worms start moving around making them easier to spot and syphon. The worms eventually turned pale (from pink to very light pink/white), but I don't know if any actually died on their own from the recommended doseage. I have a sixline and he doesn't seem to be interested in eating them. There are still a few flatworms in the tank, so next time I feel there are too many, I'll definately dose 2 to 3 times the recommended limit. I'll proably start with 2 and see how it goes, and then increase to 3 (or 4) if needed.

I ended up doing 1, then 2, then 3. 1 and 2 were well tolerated, but 3X dose caused some visible stree, and I think some pods died (did this in my fuge). After the 3rd treatment at 3X I haven't seen any red flatworms, and is has been many months now.

Back