Float Switches - need suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

I want to add 2 float switches to my tank that will hook up to my aquacontroller - one in my overflow and one in the sump. I've had the overflow backup before so i'd like it to kill the return pump if it ever backs up. For the sump, I've had all sorts of mishaps where I've added too much top off water, etc so I'd like to be alerted if that happens again too. So anyway, here's the big question...

Question: Which model of float switch would you guys recomend? Any models you've had bad experiences with and wouldn't recomend?

I was looking at a site from DonW's links and it looks like there are a bunch of choices.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/floatswitches.html

any suggestions appreciated.

I've been looking at those as well from Don's suggestions. The MS8000 in particular. I will be doing the same sort of deal that you are and will be going with a few of those. May want to send Don a pm, he could probably give a better opinion(unless he puts up a post here) Good luck, make sure to let me know how it turned out.

I've been looking at those as well from Don's suggestions. The MS8000 in particular. I will be doing the same sort of deal that you are and will be going with a few of those. May want to send Don a pm, he could probably give a better opinion(unless he puts up a post here) Good luck, make sure to let me know how it turned out.

MS8000 looks like it has a snail guard on it right? since I'll have mine mounted in a place that snails won't be, I may just opt for the two cheaper models.

anyone have first hand experience to offer?

Here are the float switches I got today. They are encased in a removable shell so no need for a funky snail gaurd.
MadisonMS8000Medium2.jpg

This is from Don's post on his Automation Remodel
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18641&page=5&p=207932

I'd use the ms8000 snails or not, the gaurd also keeps sloshing down. If your going to run this as a overflow protection you need a debounce circuit or programming other wise your pump will get hammered on/off/on/off.........
What your protecting against will determine the circuit design.

Don

I'd use the ms8000 snails or not, the gaurd also keeps sloshing down. If your going to run this as a overflow protection you need a debounce circuit or programming other wise your pump will get hammered on/off/on/off.........
What your protecting against will determine the circuit design.

Don

Thanks Don

hey, so then, how about mounting hardware? Anyone tried these things (http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder9.html)? or any other suggestions out there? I'm sure i could jerry rig something up, but also want somethignn that is not an eye sore - these things in the link kinda look like eye sores. Any other suggestions?

I would just take a strip of acrylic, heat it up and bend it to your needs. That way, you make it how you want it to look and it can still function how you want it to.

Those do look kind of cheesy. What are you hanging them on. Glass aquarium, acrylic?

Don

I would just take a strip of acrylic, heat it up and bend it to your needs. That way, you make it how you want it to look and it can still function how you want it to.

Yeah..Ok.. DIY may work, but I'm having trouble picturing how to mount these. These don't have the thread screws that the ifloat has and all around they look like thay have a pretty smooth body. Not sure how you'd actually mount the thing. sorry for being dense, but any idears?

MadisonMS8000Medium2.jpg

in comparison, see the threads on the ifloat cheap ones for easy mounting:
i-floatFloatSwitchMedium2.jpg

Those do look kind of cheesy. What are you hanging them on. Glass aquarium, acrylic?

Don

one is going in my sump. Sump has no eurobracing on top. It's open.

the other goes in my overflow box- not visable really, but could make it difficult to mount.

The MS8000 has threads on the top, but just don't come with the nut. Should be able to pick that up at lowes. If you need, I've got a ton of 12"x12" scrap acrylic. I'll be making one for my tank, I'll see about making one for you if you wanted.

Yeah..Ok.. DIY may work, but I'm having trouble picturing how to mount these. These don't have the thread screws that the ifloat has and all around they look like thay have a pretty smooth body. Not sure how you'd actually mount the thing. sorry for being dense, but any idears?

MadisonMS8000Medium2.jpg

in comparison, see the threads on the ifloat cheap ones for easy mounting:
i-floatFloatSwitchMedium2.jpg

The cheap ones use a metric thread and nut. The MS 8000 uses 1/8 pipe thread.

Don

The MS8000 has threads on the top, but just don't come with the nut. Should be able to pick that up at lowes. If you need, I've got a ton of 12"x12" scrap acrylic. I'll be making one for my tank, I'll see about making one for you if you wanted.

Awesome - good to know. I'll order a couple up. I've got some scrap acrylic too and will give it a shot. David - Don't be surprised if I send you a request for help though. :D :D :D

The cheap ones use a metric thread and nut. The MS 8000 uses 1/8 pipe thread.

Don

Hey Don, I was reading about the MS8000 float switch and their site says that they are not water tight and can not be submerged. I'm curious as to how you did your setup for your low level float. Did you get the adapter that they sell as well to seal the top of the switch?

Hey Don, I was reading about the MS8000 float switch and their site says that they are not water tight and can not be submerged. I'm curious as to how you did your setup for your low level float. Did you get the adapter that they sell as well to seal the top of the switch?

I mount my floats on the end of 1/2" pvc with a cap on the end. I drill the cap and tap to the proper thread. The pvc goes into a bracket with a jam screw so they can be adjusted.
The tip where the wire goes into does not get wet.

Don

K - just ordered up 4 of 'em (2 for me, 2 for David) and one of those mold a holders too just for kicks - boy, they are ugly though. I have a feeling the one in the overflow may be a little tricky to mount and we may end up needing it. Will report back on how the install goes once they get here.

K - just ordered up 4 of 'em (2 for me, 2 for David) and one of those mold a holders too just for kicks - boy, they are ugly though. I have a feeling the one in the overflow may be a little tricky to mount and we may end up needing it. Will report back on how the install goes once they get here.

Keep a close eye on the one in the overflow. Saltcreep will prevent the float from moving when needed.

Don

Back