Floor support tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ATP123

Huh?
Hi

don't really know where to post this, but something just occured to me. My house has a crawl space under it so there are jolts, beams, girders, etc. under the floor, So I'm just wondering that can it support a 300 gallon glass tank?

I know that this might not be enough info, but not sure really what to put. So any suggestion on what info I could put and what to do would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Also, where is the tank sitting on the floor? Just over a beam? Is it perpendicular or parallel to the floor joists?

I would add support to the floor that is a lot of weight to add to the floor. I got lucky with the rental I am in now as I am on a slab. I have a 240 and that was my concern also. Vegas we do not have this issue. 300x8lbs can equal disaster.

My guess is that you are going to be somewhere the 3500lbs range.

Mine is a 220 and I figured that I would be around 2500 lbs in its footprint. I had braces put under my floor (crawl space) about 2 feet from the wall beam the tank sits next too. My floor joists run perpendicular to the tank. I made sure that all joists under the tank and also the next one to each side were spanned with the support. Two 2 x 6 were nailed together for the beam and 4x4 were used for the uprights. Cement blocks were used on the ground and the 4x4 were attached to them with a bracket that could be adjusted for height by a bolt and nut. I paid someone to do this for me and he had it done in about an hour. It would have taken me all day..

Your welcome Mark.. LOL :)
I have done this with 4 different houses now.. (including my own)
It's really easy and cheep insurance....

What are the dimensions of the tank/stand? Keep in mind that larger tanks, actually end up weight about the same, per square foot, because of the larger footprint.

For example, a 55 gallon has a footprint of of 4 square feet and weights approximately 500 pounds. That's 125 pounds per square foot.

A 75, weights approximately 700, but has a 6 square foot footprint, so weights approximately 115 pounds per square foot.

Now take my 200 deep dimension. It weighs approximately 2000 pounds, but has a footprint of 12 square feet. That's 166 per square foot.

All of these weights are just approximate and figured at 9lbs per gallon of water. Saltwater weighs slightly more than freshwater, so 9 lbs is pretty close. These weights do not take into consideration heavy stands and such, and all weights were rounded up. However, they do show that larger tanks don't weight that much more, per square foot, than smaller tanks. Now, pick up your refrigerator...lol. I'd imagine that it weighs more, per square foot, than my 200.

As long as the stand is built with a continuous bottom, instead of 4 corner legs, the weight of the tank/stand is spread out evenly, across the entire footprint.

Make sure the tank is against a bearing wall and perpendicular to bearing joists. Make sure that it's supported by as many joists as possible.

I have a 270g glass tank. You might want to put a support beam under there. Adam(Mightymouse) assisted me in that or I should say Adam did all of the work. I just looked stupid and watched LOL. He did a great job and it didn't look too difficult to do and is cheap insurance. Thanks again Adam!!!!!

Ive been doing remodels and additions for a while now. I would support under the tank if it were my house. Its a small price to pay for a piece of mind.

Even if it doesnt make the house sag or the tank be out of level. It will make the floor spongey in that area. When you walk past you will likely see ripples on the surface of the tank making you uneasy. By supporting the floor. That area of the house will be rock solid.

for weight make sure you add the tank empty weight. 3/4 glass is around 10lbs per sqft and 5/8 is around 8. Add your sand and rock weight also into the figure.

Mine at 220.. Dry weight around 400 lbs, 200 lbs rock and 400 lbs sand, and around 1500 lbs water. All sitting in a 15 sqft foot print. So over 150lbs per sqft

And yes Adam does great work. I just didn't want to put your name out without your OK.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for you help everyone.
Think I'll have to cancel upgrade. I don't really have much space by the support walls and I don't know how to install extra support under the floor in the crawl space because there's like no space under there. I could barely crawl under there. It's like 2 ft high.

btw, the tank is 72x36x27

A skilled contractor can do the work under there. Ive done it many times.

I've got a 210 upstairs in my house and I know nothing about building stuff. It could be on a load bearing wall or a door frame for all I know. As of now, my tank hasn't fallen down stairs.

easy take two sets of 2x6's and nail the snot out of them (together) so you have two make shift beams..
take two short 4x4 posts each and put them on top of a concreat porch type block..
two beams 4 posts and 4 blocks..your set!

If you put the tank up against the wall I would not worry about bracing / posting underneath. All your weight will bare on the foundation plate / exterior wall or how ever your house is built. I-joist, 2x10, and 2x12 are specced and design to handle a lot of load. I do not remember the exact amount. But if you just set your tank up against the wall you will not get the sponginess on your floor when walking by. Another thing is to look at the way your joist run and the beams in the crawl. Also you probably want to set it on a foundation wall and not a pony wall (small wall) it would probably be fine, but just in case.

If your going to the middle of the room tank scenario one thing to keep in mind is how big the room is and how far the joist span. If you go middle room I would defiantly add some support like Myteemouse had suggested. It is very easy to do. The only thing that would suck is the amount of room you have to work. One thing to keep in mind is even some small none weighted rooms have a sponginess to them. Then think about putting a 300 gal tank or whatever on it.

As for the cost of getting the material you could probably go to construction sites (if any around now days) and ask if they have a scrape pile. Could get the lumber for nothing sometimes.

Lastly, your house is built stronger then any crapy press board pre-fab. stand out there. Hope some of this helps.

Back