Florida Move????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SB0169

Red Volitan
Maybe this is not the right forum, but I don't know where else to post. I'm sick and tired of this state. I'm 37 years old, and lived here all my life. I want something new. In all honesty, I want to move to the carribean(Jamaica is awesome! been there twice in the past year). But there is so much more to see. I haven't seen the bahamas, except for Krish's pics, so I thought I would pack up the family and move. I would like input, both pos & neg. By the way, there needs to be a decent college nearby... I am an engineering student... better late than never! Please give me input. I have a bug in my bonnet, and It's time to go...

that's funny.. i always talk about going somewhere up north just to get away for a while!!.. Florida is great.. i live in a very popular tourist town..there are no words to describe it here during the summer.. millions come through here.. traffic is horrible.. we have some of the whitest beaches in the world here, but it's definitely not the Bahamas..you might like The Keys or maybe somewhere else in south Florida...this is the only really nice place in north FL...if i hadn't settled down with my girl a few years ago, i was going to move to Hawaii or the Bahamas...i love living on the beach, but this place gets old after a while..nobody here grows up...the jobs depend on the tourist season.. alot of FL is like that..it is a huge party scene..it never ends...i say go to south FL.(not Miami)

Southeast=hurricanes
Midwest= tornados
California=Earth quakes
Southwest= heatwaves
Northwest= rain
Northeast= sever winter storms

You could probably get tired of some aspect of geography and weather no matter where you live.

Id bet you'll get antsie no matter where you live. I just moved back after eight years.
Where you grew up will always be your home. Sorry, hate to be the bearer of bad news. The grass is always greener........

[/QUOTE]
Where you grew up will always be your home. Sorry, hate to be the bearer of bad news. The grass is always greener........[/QUOTE]

sorry to disagree but I've been away from "home" for over 3 years and I never regret to have moved and wherever I am and where I'm happy is my home:p although I sometimes miss friends but not even the ones from "home":D

you have to decide where you(and family) can be happy. good luck

although I just noticed I'm still growing up.... oops

yeah, i forgot to mention how hurricanes can wipe you out!!!. Hurricane Ivan got my last house here..i ended up living in Louisiana for 2 years.. whatever you do, don't go there!!!!(sorry Scooter):badgrin:

Well You could consider the North East part of Florida ( greater Jacksonville area) Cost of living is still not too bad compared to further south . I have friends making a killing in the construction trade despite a slight drop in home sales. UNF is here & UF could be considered close. Now I would guess that ronj would agree. It can get fairly cold in northern Florida , maybe a frost & we may get a hurricane or two ,but You won't have to shovel any snow! Stay out of the south east part of the state unless You like that fast paced crowded life style. Personally I'd like to end up somewhere between Melbourne & Ft Pierce on the east coast. The weather is nice not too crowded yet & there is a beautiful stretch of ocean there.

Last edited:
Yeah I here ya. My wife and I are looking to get out of here once she's done with nursing school, in August. I'm tired of the weather, traffic, people, crime and the cost for a simple home. The only good thing that I can see is all of the beautiful scenery.....but you can view beautiful scenery elsewhere. I read somewhere not too long ago that the Seattle/Tacoma area has one of the greatest differences between cost of living versus what an average person makes. That's right, right behind San Francisco and a couple of other places. I can get a simple 3 bedroom home with around 1500 sq ft. in Texas for about $150,000. Here it would take about $225,000-$250,000 AND it would be cheaply built with no yard. Screw that. Check

Last edited:
How funny, I've been trying to get my hubby to move to Florida too! You could buy a mansion for what our ghetto house cost here! :lol:

Julia, Let's do it! Let's swarm florida like we have been swarmed here in the NW! JK. I know what ya mean by housing values. It's nice here, but way too expensive! I can deal with a hurricane or two.

How funny, I've been trying to get my hubby to move to Florida too! You could buy a mansion for what our ghetto house cost here! :lol:

Well, what kind of engineer are you aspiring to become? Missouri has about 50, Engineering Colleges, Universities, Technical and Vocational Schools. If your in school, there must be a good reason for it. I would not base my education solely on weather conditions. I'm not trying to say that Missouri is wonderful, or will provide you with the best education. That is for you to decide. The weather and scenery is pretty good, and I have spent much of my life in STL and enjoy it. Though, warm sand between my toes always sounds nice.

Southeast=hurricanes
Midwest= tornados
California=Earth quakes
Southwest= heatwaves
Northwest= rain
Northeast= sever winter storms

You could probably get tired of some aspect of geography and weather no matter where you live.

...The grass is always greener........

Hypothetically I would agree with this, but... I grew up part time in the Middle East, with earthquakes rivaling those in California, and in Moscow, Russia with winters sometimes as severe as New England... I must say, the earthquakes and the snow never "got to me" like the Seattle grayness does. Of course, as I am writing this, the weather outside is absolutely glorious, sunny with blue skies :lol:

Well, what kind of engineer are you aspiring to become? Missouri has about 50, Engineering Colleges, Universities, Technical and Vocational Schools. If your in school, there must be a good reason for it. I would not base my education solely on weather conditions. I'm not trying to say that Missouri is wonderful, or will provide you with the best education. That is for you to decide. The weather and scenery is pretty good, and I have spent much of my life in STL and enjoy it. Though, warm sand between my toes always sounds nice.

I am studying civil engineering. I have been in the construction industry my entire life, as a heavy equipment operator and foreman/superintendant, building what the engineers design. That is until June of last year. A series of events, which I will not call unfortunate because they have provided new opportunities, placed me where I am now. I lost vision in an eye December 2006, got in a wreck in my company truck in June 2007 (little car was in my "blind" spot), got fired as a result, wasn't able to find a job in my field with only one eye, I'm in the process of foreclosure on my house, so I decided to get an education. I figure I may as well look into a move while I'm at it, and Florida sounds good. I've got nothing tying me down here.

I am sorry to hear about your eye. Losing one makes the other one that much more precious... But the good news is, if you have worked in construction and have all that experience, you should make a great civil engineer! So many engineers have no actual hands on experience, and they design things that make sense in theory, but don't work out very well in real life.

I am sorry to hear about your eye. Losing one makes the other one that much more precious... But the good news is, if you have worked in construction and have all that experience, you should make a great civil engineer! So many engineers have no actual hands on experience, and they design things that make sense in theory, but don't work out very well in real life.

Thanks, Julia! You are so correct! so many engineers that I have worked with only have book knowledge. I can't even begin to estimate how many plans haven't worked in real life.
As far as my eye... I see it as a blessing in disguise. Life happens, and God has blessed me with a great, adaptable mind and a wonderful family. I certainly don't mind this change in direction. I'm having the time of my life right now. Change is good, and I love adventure.
By the way, It is 75 degrees in Miami right now:D

Back