Flounder in Saltwater aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tangtang clown

I just purchased a saltwater flounder ( sand flounder) for my 75 gal tank.
I was told to feed him by using hard air line tubing with a small peice of krill or shrimp stuck in the end.

I got him on Friday and I can't get him to eat using this method.

Any suggestions or relative experiences?

Thanks.

Awesome fish... loved my flounder (He was lunch for a Moray 4 months ago :( )..

Get him fed with some live foods until you can wean to krill. Shrimp and guppies will do the trick. I'd also try throwing a few krill in without the stick. I never had to stick feed or motivate my flounder.

Where would you get live shrimp small enough to feed him?
I have a couple peppermints, a coral banded, and a skunk cleaner.
How big was your flounder? Mine is about 3 to 4 inches.

Ghost/Glass shrimp are small enough and can be found at some local fish stores. Live aquaria also sells them..

Ultimately flounders are not at all reef safe. They wont eat coral but Shrimp and small fish will be gonners as soon as it can fit them in its mouth. I think mine was about 5 to 6 inches and was eating large krill and silver slides.

Here's a pic:

he wouldnt last to long at my house to.... i figure a 6" flounders good for at least me and cas.... (well luckyl she doesnt like any seafood) but

yuuuuumm

truthfuly i never knew you could keep a flounder in a reef.... i thought they where cold water fish....

COOL!

we caught a baby, 3" flounder out in the bay and threw him in one of our 10' troughs, he is the MOST voracious eating fish ive witnessed. Puts a puffer fish to shame. Hes also about 10" now and can be petted, its very funny. Eats any food we throw in the tank

Back